Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com> on 2003/08/01 04:57:28 UTC

Anybody using Slide + Windows Webfolders for Asian Languages?

Hello Everybody,

I have already described in some detail the problems I have been having
with using Windows webfolders with Slide, with Chinese filenames.  All I
have gotten in response is some stuff about how it works OK with German
characters with umlauts or Swedish characters.  Someone suggested that
changing the slide server port to 80 was the "solution!"  If only it
were so easy as that!  Am I the only person outside Europe/USA who is
using Slide?  Surely not!  That would make me very special, and I don't
think I am so unique! :)  So I have a very simple question.  Is there
anybody out there who is using Slide + Windows Webfolders  with Chinese,
Japanese, or Korean filenames?  And if so, was it a big effort to get it
to work?

Thanks,

Satish

Re: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Julian Reschke wrote:

> [...]

Thanks a lot. Now it works. I think the bug was fixed around 4.1.18 or so...

Oliver

Re: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
satish wrote:
> Julian, Oliver, everybody else, I sent the HTTP traces as requested.
> Did anybody get a chance to look at them?  People are discussing stuff
> like encoding problems with Tomcat, or the Slide kernel, etc.  I don't
> get it.  Just FYI here are the two relevant lines from my trace files:
>
> Here is the PUT from Windows XP Webfolders:
> PUT /files/john/?? HTTP/1.1 Accept-Language: en-us, zh-cn;q=0.5
> Translate: f Content-Length: 6 User-Agent: Microsoft Data Access
> Internet Publishing Provider DAV 1.1 Host: localhost:7000 Connection:
> Keep-Alive Cookie: JSESSIONID=C6F396B4000345632312500602359293
> Authorization: Basic am9objpqb2hu  test

Here is the PUT from MY Windows XP Webfolders (Version 5.1, Build
1.511.1, IE 6.0)

PUT /slide/files/assi%C3%B6%C3%A4%C3%BC.txt HTTP/1.1
Host: milhouse.finix.de:7777
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cookie: JSESSIONID=7FFA1A19688D1DF811E1B0538CF75D99

Looks alright in my version(at least for special German characters).
Either a problem of encoding or of your XP version. Sorry, can not help,
as I do not know how to use Chinese characters :(

Oliver

Re: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
The client components for Sharepoint reside in the server download. After
unpacking, you will discover a separate client installer.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
Aye Aye cap'n! Thanks!  I will check that out right away.  You know, I
do all my development on Linux and stay as far away from windows as
possible, but here I am having to screw around with DLL versions and
stuff. :(  THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM THE EVIL EMPIRE!

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Satish,

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Satish,

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

RE: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

Re: Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

Re: Webdav and mkcol method

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Hi,

you watched for log file of the client? There is also a log file for the
the server or maybe two. These should give you more details. But if I understand
your log right, you tried to create the collection /. This will not work.
Did you map your webdav servlet to /? Usually it is mapped to /webdav.
But even if it is mapped to /, Slide will create its root collection at startup
and you can't create it ny MKCOL.
If I try to create the root collection, I get something like

Creating `/webdav': failed:
403 Forbidden: org.apache.slide.webdav.method.MkcolMethod.restrictedDestinationUri

Can you access the URL / through a normal Webbrowser?

--
Martin Holz     <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>

Softwareentwicklung / Vernetztes Studium - Chemie
FIZ CHEMIE Berlin
Franklinstrasse 11
D-10587 Berlin

Re: Webdav and mkcol method

Webdav and mkcol method

Posted by Aruna Goli <ar...@covigna.com>.
Thankyou Martin, I changed the logging level in Domain.xml but I guess
the code does not have any debug messages so did not give me any other
information.

I deployed the following wars
Slide.war
Slide-admin.war
Slide-doc.war
Slide-webdav.war

However it does not seem to recognize the mkcol method, has anyone used
this? I am just trying to run a sample program that comes with slide.
Attaching the program here.

This is the error message

no entries in http://tomcat:tomcat@localhost:7001/slide%2Dwebdav
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not create
http://O
palSystem:opal@localhost:7001/slide%2Dwebdav/out
        at WebdavTest.testWrite(WebdavTest.java:139)
        at WebdavTest.main(WebdavTest.java:235)

Thankyou
aruna

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.

Webdav client and logging

Posted by Aruna Goli <ar...@covigna.com>.
Hello

 I deployed slide.war and slide-admin.war in weblogic. For now I have
set that no authentication needs to be done.

 I have a webdav test client program that I am trying to test. However I
am getting an internal error. I have attached my program here

1. Can anyone please let me know if I am missing something.

2. I tried to set the log4j.properties to the DEBUG level however it
still does not display the error messages

Thankyou
Aruna

     [exec] <Aug 7, 2003 11:26:18 AM PDT> <Info> <NT Performance Pack>
<Allocati
ng: '2' NT reader threads>
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 - org.apache.slide.webdav.WebdavServlet
- INFO
- OPTIONS = 200 OK (time: 70 ms) URI = /
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 -
org.apache.slide.transaction.SlideTransaction
Manager - INFO - Rollback Transaction 5 xid ExecuteThread: '22' for
queue: 'defa
ult'-1060280778460-5- in thread ExecuteThread: '22' for queue: 'default'
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 - org.apache.slide.webdav.WebdavServlet
- INFO
- MKCOL = 500 Internal Server Error (time: 0 ms) URI = /
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain -
WARNING - Ac
cess denied on /users by user /users/guest for action /actions/read
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain -
WARNING - Ac
cess denied on /actions by user /users/guest for action /actions/read
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 - WARNING - WARNING: No active
transaction
     [exec] 07 Aug 2003 11:26:18 - org.apache.slide.webdav.WebdavServlet
- INFO
- GET = 200 OK (time: 20 ms) URI = /
     [exec] <Aug 7, 2003 11:27:50 AM PDT> <Info> <Management>
<Configuration cha
nges for domain saved to the repository.>

Webdav client and logging

Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Slide-Encoding: FINALLY

Re: Anybody using Slide + Windows Webfolders for Asian Languages?

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> <data>
>   <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
> uri="/files/VerknÃ&#402;¼pfung mit Domain.xml.lnk">
>
> which is obviously incorrect (at least encoding should not be
> ISO-8859-1, but UTF-8, but also there is this charcter entity &#402;
> which is wrong as well). I do not know if this error occurs only when
> using this store or if there is another one in the slide kernel.

Well, tried UTF-8 encoding for the XML file and the problem remains.
Actually, the data was encoded correctly in ISO-8859-1, so the problem
seems to lie in the slide kernel.

In slide.properties everything is ok:

org.apache.slide.urlEncoding=UTF-8

RESUME:

As it turned out, I get no problem when the request URI is decoded in
ISO-8859-1. Actually the path returned by

HttpServletRequest.getServletPath()

is assumed to be ISO-8859-1 (the default encoding on my machine) and is
of course corrupted when it actually is UTF-8.

Thus the problem lies within tomcat (my servlet container) and not slide...

Re: Anybody using Slide + Windows Webfolders for Asian Languages?

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Some more investigations:

Windows explorer and IE6.0 send HTTP request headers UTF-8 encoded which
should be just fine. Mozilla is the bad boy, as it sends it in ISO-8859-1.

Here are the HTTP header generated to get

abcöäü.txt

mozilla (ISO-8859-1):

GET /slide/files/abc%E4%F6%FC.txt HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:7777
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

IE6.0 (UTF-8):

GET /slide/files/abc%C3%A4%C3%B6%C3%BC.txt HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint,
application/msword, */*
Host: localhost:7777
Connection: Keep-Alive

Re: Anybody using Slide + Windows Webfolders for Asian Languages?

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
satish wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I have already described in some detail the problems I have been having
> with using Windows webfolders with Slide, with Chinese filenames.  All I
> have gotten in response is some stuff about how it works OK with German
> characters with umlauts or Swedish characters.

I use German characters which actually also do *not* work with Windows
explorer: upon upload they get displayed correctly, but not after a reload.

Before copying into slide:

Verknüpfung (This email should be encoeded as iso-8859-1, hopefully it
gets displayed correcly. When pasting it it was ok)

After copying:

Verknüpfung (When pasting was corrupt)

I use the "slidestore.file.XMLFileDescriptorsStore" store which saves
something like this to disk:

<data>
   <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
uri="/files/VerknÃ&#402;¼pfung mit Domain.xml.lnk">

which is obviously incorrect (at least encoding should not be
ISO-8859-1, but UTF-8, but also there is this charcter entity &#402;
which is wrong as well). I do not know if this error occurs only when
using this store or if there is another one in the slide kernel.

I will do some more investigation...

Oliver

P.S.: I use a slide nighly built (06/25)

Re: Anybody using Slide + Windows Webfolders for Asian Languages?

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
OK Julian,

I will get that trace together with a description and post it. :)

Satish

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
OK Julian,

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
How do I get an HTTP trace using windows Webfolders and Slide?

Satish

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
OK here is an HTTP Trace attached for uploading a file using Windows XP
webfolders.  It is called webfolders_put_http_trace.txt

Just for completeness I have also attached an HTTP trace for the same
operation using the web client I wrote.  It is called
webclient_put_http_trace.txt.

Notice the difference in the PUT command from the client side in both
cases.  Please let me know what you find out from the traces.  My
project is now horribly late due mainly to this Windows webfolders
issue.

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Satish,