Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/03 19:06:19 UTC

LOOKING OUT FOR A MENTOR FOR GSOC 2015

Hello all,

I am Sarang Shrivastava, an open source enthusiast from  MNNIT,
Allahabad,India.

While applying for this year's GSOC I committed a blunder, in the initial
phase I was interested in working with the RSPAMD organisation ( Basically
a SPAM filter ) and was working on the idea of "IMPLEMENTING META-STATISTIC
ALGORITHMS".
But while submitting the proposal I accidentally submitted it with the
Apache software foundation.

I asked the mentors of both Rspamd and Apache to somehow transfer my
proposal to Rspamd but this can't happen now.

The thing is my proposal is not organisation specific.Any open source spam
filtering project that does not has this idea can take the advantage of
it.I went through the Spamassasin wiki page and found out that it only has
Bayesian filtering as statistical classification technique, but the other
machine learning methods that I have listed in my proposal
could surprisingly increase the efficiently of the spam filtering process.

So, it would really be appreciating if anyone could mentor me throughout
the GSOC period. I want to work on this proposal but unless an until anyone
of you signs up as a mentor and accept my proposal in Melange before 12th
of April I cannot work on it further.

Please I kindly request if anyone among you who is interested in my idea ,
please be my mentor. I am sure that given a chance to prove myself, I would
not disappoint you.

The link to my proposal is :
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/xlr_24/5629499534213120

I have also enclosed a copy of my proposal as an attachment.
PS: In my attached proposal wherever I wrote rspamd , I have replaced it
with Spamassasin.

Cheers,
Sarang

--
*Sarang Shrivastava*
*Computer Science & Engineering*

Re: Fwd: LOOKING OUT FOR A MENTOR FOR GSOC 2015

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
Sarang,

I have changed the proposal to be editable so that you can modify it for
the new SA focus.  I will provide discussions in the GSoC forum but
invite you to discuss code and projects questions on users@ and
dev@spamassassin.apache.org.

The ASF is very much built on transparency so open discussion is
paramount to your success.

Regards,
KAM

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 4/7/2015 12:58 PM, Sarang Shrivastava wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> Looking forward to hear from you soon !
> Is there any other mode of communication that we can use ?? What do
> you suggest ? I guess Skype or Google hangout should solve the issue.
Hi Sarang,

This is a holiday week for many in the US so please expect some delays
as I am up to my ears at work with people on vacation, etc.

That said, I have just completed the process to officially become a mentor.

Next steps are:

- Tomorrow I will read your email about the proposal modifications and
give my feedback.  I will also solicit community feedback.
- From there, we need to then have you update the proposal on the GSOC
system (assuming it can be done)
- And we'll make sure we agree with the proposal and then figure out how
we accept you on behalf of the org to mentor you on that project.
- In the meantime, you should join the users@ and dev@ spamassassin lists.

After those steps, we can discuss a set schedule offlist for you and I
to schedule meetings every few days for the mentor check-ins.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Fwd: LOOKING OUT FOR A MENTOR FOR GSOC 2015

Posted by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

Posted by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
Thanks Sarang.  I got your email to my address as well but it's a
holiday weekend for me in the states. (Happy Easter to all those who
celebrate!)

It looks to me like you understand that programming is a state of mind
not a language which is good and you are capable of switching gears.

I will sign up as a mentor on Monday and let you know when that is done.

 From there, you can look at the SA code and answer the basic questions

Posted by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
Hi Sarang,