Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Kevin Regan <ke...@valicert.com> on 2000/07/06 03:26:57 UTC

differences in Xerces v. Sun JAXP

I've come across the following differences in Xerces
JAXP v. Sun JAXP 1.0.1:

1) The DocumentBuilder for Sun does not include ignorable white space
   as Text nodes (Xerces JAXP with the underlying DOMParser does).

2) The DocumentBuilder.parse( String uri ) for Sun requires a URI
   when accessing a file (e.g. file:account.xml) whereas Xerces
   does not require a proper URI (e.g. account.xml).

Can the differences in the Xerces implementation of JAXP be
modified to bring them in line with the Sun JAXP 1.0.1 version?

Sincerely,
Kevin Regan
kevinr@valicert.com

Re: differences in Xerces v. Sun JAXP

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
> I've come across the following differences in Xerces
> JAXP v. Sun JAXP 1.0.1:
>
> 1) The DocumentBuilder for Sun does not include ignorable white space
>    as Text nodes (Xerces JAXP with the underlying DOMParser does).

Maybe a standard method for controlling this behavior needs to be added to
JAXP.

> 2) The DocumentBuilder.parse( String uri ) for Sun requires a URI
>    when accessing a file (e.g. file:account.xml) whereas Xerces
>    does not require a proper URI (e.g. account.xml).

One way around this is to always use a URI, then it will work for all
parsers.  When I looked this up in the SAX API spec, I believe they require
a URI and not just a filename.  I think Xerces internally takes the extra
step of turning the filename into a URI.