Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de> on 2013/12/13 10:22:31 UTC

Problems with hbase.hregion.max.filesize

Hello,

during the loading of data in our cluster I noticed some strange behavior of some regions, that I don't understand.

Scenario:
We convert data from a mysql database to HBase. The data is inserted with a put to the specific HBase table. The row key is a timestamp. I know the problem with timestamp keys, but in our requirement it works quiet well. The problem is now, that there are some regions, which are growing and growing.

For example the table on the picture [1]. First, all data was distributed over regions and node. And now, the data is written into only one region, which is growing and I can see no splitting at all. Actually the size of the big region is nearly 60 GB.

HBase version is 0.94.11. I cannot understand, why the splitting is not happening. In hbase-site.xml I limit the hbase.hregion.max.filesize to 2 GB and HBase accepted this value.

<property>
	<!--Loaded from hbase-site.xml-->
	<name>hbase.hregion.max.filesize</name>
	<value>2147483648</value>
</property>

First mystery: Hannibal shows me the split size is 10 GB (see screenshot).
Second mystery: HBase is not splitting some regions neither at 2 GB nor 10 GB.

Any ideas? Could be the timestamp rowkey cause this problem?

Thanks,

	Timo

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm286xkcpglnj1t/big_region.png

Re: Problems with hbase.hregion.max.filesize

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.
Hey,

sorry for the answer delay, I had a flight to San Francisco and fighting with the jetleg. I am here on vacation, maybe I can visit some interesting talks about HBase/Hadoop :).

Am 14.12.2013 um 13:14 schrieb lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>:

> Did you observe anything interesting with such a large Java heap?

Not really. From the beginning we worked with such a big heap so I haven't any big experience with less heap. But so far, this large heap space works well.

> You said you have 3G for the memstore, most of the rest is for the block cache I assume.

Not exactely. Memstore is 2.4 GB and the rest is Blockcache. The relevant values in hbase-site.xml values are:

hfile.block.cache.size = 0.77
hbase.regionserver.global.memstore.upperLimit  = 0.03

> Any long GC pauses, or other strange behavior?

Sometimes we have long GC pauses. For example yesterday we had a 213 Seconds GC pause on one region server and he passed out. But those long pauses are very, very rare. For GCing we use the default value in hbase-env.xml, I think:
export HBASE_OPTS="-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"

I cannot see other strange behavior, except the problem with hbase.hregion.max.filesize and why HBase is not splitting automatically at 2 GB.

Thanks,

	Timo

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.
Hey Azuryy Yu,

yep, checked the GC log, nothing there.

I think, there is no special JVM configuration:

export HBASE_OPTS="-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"
export SERVER_GC_OPTS="-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=1 -XX:GCLogFileSize=512M -Xloggc:/home/hadoop/logs/g
c-hbase.log $HBASE_GC_OPTS"

Thank,

	Timo

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.
Hey Enis,

thanks for the hint. I checked the logs and all flushes just before the splitting were successfull. Also all compactions works fine.

I made another interesting notice. When I disable a table and than enable it again, HBase starts to split the big regions automatically.

bye,

	Timo

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.
@Ted Yu:

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Timo:

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.
Hey Ted Yu,

I had digging the name node log and so far I've found nothing special. No Exception, FATAL or ERROR message nor anything other peculiarities.
Only I see a lot of messages like this:

2013-12-12 13:53:22,541 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.StateChange: Removing lease on  /hbase/Sessions_1091/d04cadb1b2252dafc476c138e9651ca7/.splits/9717de41277e207c24359a18dae72cd3/l/58ab2c11ca9b4b4994ce54bac0bb4c68.d04cadb1b2252dafc476c138e9651ca7 from client DFSClient_hb_rs_baur-hbase7.baur.boreus.de,60020,1386712527761_1295065721_26
2013-12-12 13:53:22,541 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.StateChange: DIR* completeFile: /hbase/Sessions_1091/d04cadb1b2252dafc476c138e9651ca7/.splits/9717de41277e207c24359a18dae72cd3/l/58ab2c11ca9b4b4994ce54bac0bb4c68.d04cadb1b2252dafc476c138e9651ca7 is closed by DFSClient_hb_rs_baur-hbase7.baur.boreus.de,60020,1386712527761_1295065721_26

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Timo:

Posted by Timo Schaepe <ti...@timoschaepe.de>.
Hey,