Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Purnima Venkatram <pu...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/28 03:50:46 UTC

Newbie question : Tracking the users who committed

Hi,
       In order to find which user committed to the repository , i would
need to use the --username option while committing and then use svnlook on
author right ? so the svnlook author gives the name of the person who
committed ? Right now i am using a local repository which i have created on
my local machine with svnadmin create . So, what kind of authentication can
i use for this ? For svnserve this can be managed with the svnserve.conf and
the passwd files right ?  So, even now then should i be first using svnserve
to make repository accessible to network and then use the passwd file for
authentication . Even in that case i would need to use the --username option
right while checking in ?

Thank you.

RE: Newbie question : Tracking the users who committed

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.
Quoth Purnima Venkatram <ma...@gmail.com>:
> Thanks a lot Gavin for the prompt reply.
> What can i do for the local repository though ?  Since, right now
> author retrieves root and myloginname for svnlook author. And there
> is no file where i can specify the password for the users even if i
> decide to use --username for the first checkout.

As far as I know a repository accessed through a file:// URL uses the
user's own login name, and no password.  You can't change that -- if
it's not what you want, then make sure everyone uses an svn:// or
http:// URL instead.

Re: Newbie question : Tracking the users who committed

Posted by Purnima Venkatram <pu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Gavin for the prompt reply.
What can i do for the local repository though ?  Since, right now author
retrieves root and myloginname for svnlook author. And there is no file
where i can specify the password for the users even if i decide to use
--username for the first checkout.

Thanks.
Purnima Venkatram.

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.