Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <co...@costin.dnt.ro> on 2000/01/26 18:42:15 UTC

New directories

Hi,

I want to start with the new directory structure for tomcat. That mean
I'll change build.xml to generate the new directory structure, and
for few days you might have problems building or running tomcat.

I think it's an important change, and we need to do it as soon as
possible.

Let me know quickly if  you -1 it. ( I sent a proposal and I received no
veto ).

Also note that tomcat tests will no longer build as they did before, the

test servlets/jsps will be compiled to a WAR.

I'm not sure if it's a good ideea to "deploy" it automaticaly, but for
now it
will go into webapps and will be enabled by default. That mean you can
run tests against a normal tomcat instance, no need for special setup.

Also, the test client consist of only one class, and I think it is a
good ideea
 to have it as part of standard tomcat ( arguments: if someone reports a
bug,
the best way to do it is via a test case that we can use to reproduce
and
check for regresion. Adding the test task will help people submit
bug reports as <ant> tests).

Let me know if you don't like this ideea ( and I'll roll back ).

Again, I can't do all changes at once, please don't kill me if it'll
brake
for few days.

Costin

Re: New directories

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@costin.dnt.ro>.
> > I'm not sure if it's a good ideea to "deploy" it automaticaly, but for
> > now it
> > will go into webapps and will be enabled by default. That mean you can
> > run tests against a normal tomcat instance, no need for special setup.
> >

> +1 on deploying it automatically, and including it in the default
> configuration.  It's not big enough to worry about disk space.

Disk space is not a problem, security may be on long term.
( we don't want a test servlet that gets /etc/passwd :-)
( that will not be a problem when we move to JDK1.2 and
 a decent security manager , but better safe )

We should make a decision before the release.

> > Also, the test client consist of only one class, and I think it is a
> > good ideea
> >  to have it as part of standard tomcat ( arguments: if someone reports a
> > bug,
> > the best way to do it is via a test case that we can use to reproduce
> > and
> > check for regresion. Adding the test task will help people submit
> > bug reports as <ant> tests).
> >
> > Let me know if you don't like this ideea ( and I'll roll back ).
> >

> -0, isn't the test client already available if you've deployed the test WAR
> file and enabled a context for it?  Isn't it possible that we might in the
> future have more than one class in the test client (for different types of
> tests, or whatever other reason we cannot predict right now)?

Yes, it may happen, but I hope we will have a small number of reusable
tasks, and for very special tests we can use a different jar file.
Regardless of where we put the test <tasks>, I think we should make them
generic and distribute them with tomcat ( bug reporting as test cases)

Another usage for the test client would be site-testing ( i.e. the user might
develop a test for it's own site and servlets, it can be used to test tomcat
but
also to test user servlets !)

Costin

Re: New directories

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
I didn't see the original proposal, but I was out of town and might have
missed it in my skimming.  Comments on detailed ideas below.

Costin Manolache wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to start with the new directory structure for tomcat. That mean
> I'll change build.xml to generate the new directory structure, and
> for few days you might have problems building or running tomcat.
>
> I think it's an important change, and we need to do it as soon as
> possible.
>
> Let me know quickly if  you -1 it. ( I sent a proposal and I received no
> veto ).
>
> Also note that tomcat tests will no longer build as they did before, the
>
> test servlets/jsps will be compiled to a WAR.

+1

> I'm not sure if it's a good ideea to "deploy" it automaticaly, but for
> now it
> will go into webapps and will be enabled by default. That mean you can
> run tests against a normal tomcat instance, no need for special setup.

+1 on deploying it automatically, and including it in the default
configuration.  It's not big enough to worry about disk space.

> Also, the test client consist of only one class, and I think it is a
> good ideea
>  to have it as part of standard tomcat ( arguments: if someone reports a
> bug,
> the best way to do it is via a test case that we can use to reproduce
> and
> check for regresion. Adding the test task will help people submit
> bug reports as <ant> tests).
>
> Let me know if you don't like this ideea ( and I'll roll back ).

-0, isn't the test client already available if you've deployed the test WAR
file and enabled a context for it?  Isn't it possible that we might in the
future have more than one class in the test client (for different types of
tests, or whatever other reason we cannot predict right now)?

> Again, I can't do all changes at once, please don't kill me if it'll
> brake
> for few days.
>
> Costin

Craig