Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by RW <rw...@googlemail.com> on 2016/04/01 00:33:00 UTC

Re: HEADS-UP: MIME_NO_TEXT matches Sendmail MIME DSNs

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 17:56:21 -0400
Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> On 3/31/2016 1:34 PM, RW wrote:
> >
> > They have something like:

> > rather than

> I think you found a bug in sendmail (or something munging things
> along the way.)

No, this is in spam.

The FPs from sendmail are caused by it relying on its visible text
being implicitly text/plain rather that having a Content-Type header.

Re: HEADS-UP: MIME_NO_TEXT matches Sendmail MIME DSNs

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 3/31/2016 6:33 PM, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 17:56:21 -0400
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
>> On 3/31/2016 1:34 PM, RW wrote:
>>> They have something like:

>>> rather than

>> I think you found a bug in sendmail (or something munging things
>> along the way.)
> No, this is in spam.
>
> The FPs from sendmail are caused by it relying on its visible text
> being implicitly text/plain rather that having a Content-Type header.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were describing two issues.

But I'd also interpret the behavior you describe from RFC 2405 since
US-ASCII would be the default Charset.  I'm not sure the details of the
problem but if it is missing the header or syntactically invalid,
assuming it's plain US-ASCII looks right.

5.2.  Content-Type Defaults

    Default RFC 822 messages without a MIME Content-Type header are taken
    by this protocol to be plain text in the US-ASCII character set,
    which can be explicitly specified as:

    This default is assumed if no Content-Type header field is specified.
    It is also recommend that this default be assumed when a
    syntactically invalid Content-Type header field is encountered. In
    the presence of a MIME-Version header field and the absence of any
    Content-Type header field, a receiving User Agent can also assume
    that plain US-ASCII text was the sender's intent.  Plain US-ASCII
    text may still be assumed in the absence of a MIME-Version or the
    presence of an syntactically invalid Content-Type header field, but
    the sender's intent might have been otherwise.

Regards,
KAM

Re: HEADS-UP: MIME_NO_TEXT matches Sendmail MIME DSNs

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, RW wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 17:56:21 -0400
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
>> On 3/31/2016 1:34 PM, RW wrote:
>>>
>>> They have something like:

>>> rather than

>> I think you found a bug in sendmail (or something munging things
>> along the way.)
>
> No, this is in spam.
>
> The FPs from sendmail are caused by it relying on its visible text
> being implicitly text/plain rather that having a Content-Type header.

How many other point do those messages score? Would having another point
or two from this standards violation push them over the top, or are they
already obviously spammy?

   Vista: because the audio experience is *far* more important than
   network throughput.
  Tomorrow: April Fools' day