Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary <ga...@physics.org> on 2017/12/13 01:13:36 UTC

[Proposal] Migrate platform from Trac to Django

Hi everyone,

I would like to propose that Apache Bloodhound should migrate away from
Trac as a base and instead use the Django web framework.

Some of the advantages we would gain from such a move include:

 * Django supports Python 3 (as I understand it from version 2.0, Python
 2 support is dropped)
 * Django is popular enough that it should be considered a good
 transferable skill for our contributors
 * Similarly it may be that potential contributors with Django
 experience may be attracted to this project

Other benefits we will have is that we will gain better control over the
basic data model rather than having to do any monkey patching or sql
translation.

My proposal as it is does not intend to go any further than settle the
question of our desire to change from Trac to Django but there are
decisions around some of the practicalities that are worth considering.

Given previous discussions, I suspect that we have enough support for
some kind of migration to Django as a base for the project. As far as I
am concerned there is nothing in previous discussions during the setup
of the Apache Bloodhound project that ties the community to Trac as a
base. Our only real commitment regarding our dealing with Trac was that
we would not encourage any kind of fork. Please do put me right if
anyone feels I am misrepresenting the situation of course.

There are still a range of ways that we could implement such a migration
to Django, from starting from scratch to attempting to match the
interfaces provided by Trac so as to limit changes to code that sits on
top of it.

The latter extreme does still feel a bit too much like forking Trac for
my liking so I think we need to be careful if something like that is
seen as best.

To start from scratch will leave us with plenty to do but I am hoping
that we will find ways to integrate other external projects to provide
features, either through Django apps and middleware or beyond.

Regardless of other decisions, the scope of the project should remain
broadly the same, so we would be aiming to have reasonable feature
parity including, amongst other stuff:

 * Multi tracker support (multi-product)
 * Integrated wiki
 * Fast search plugin
 * SCM integration

We will obviously also need to ensure that we can migrate from a
bloodhound based on Trac to any new version.

I look forward to hearing thoughts around this.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: [Proposal] Migrate platform from Trac to Django

Posted by Sathishkumar Duraisamy <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal !!

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Hongjie Tian <ti...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > Pavegen Systems Ltd
> > Future Business Centre
> > Kings Hedges Road
> > Cambridge, CB4 2HY
> >
> > *Head Office*
> > 5-15 Cromer St
> > London, WC1H 8LS
> >
> > t: +44 (0) 2033 977 279
> > pavegen.com <http://www.pavegen.com>
> > #thenextstep16 <http://www.pavegen.com/livestream>
> >
> > <http://www.twitter.com/pavegen>   <http://www.facebook.com/pavegen>
> > <https://www.linkedin.com/company/pavegen-system-ltd->
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > The content of this email and any attachments are confidential and may
> > contain privileged information. If you are not the addressee it may be
> > unlawful for you to read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the
> > information contained herein.
> >
> > Company Registered no: 06980029 | Company VAT no: 996499723

Sathishkumar D

Re: [Proposal] Migrate platform from Trac to Django

Posted by Hongjie Tian <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Morgan <ja...@pavegen.co.uk>.

--

------------------------------

Posted by Gary <ga...@physics.org>.
I meant to reply to this earlier but various things got in the way... I
think I was going to start with: Ah, now that is interesting.

Thank you for pointing that out, Daniel. The hybid approach could work
though I am still interested in working toward a clean model as a
starting point. Regardless, it does look like we would be able to make
use of the information you point out to simplify work towards an initial
migration.

One interesting problem I expect we will have to deal with is deferring
migration of parts of the model that we are not initially looking to
support. Even if we decide to support the full model from Bloodhound
from the start, including the plugins we install by default, we can't
really be expected to be able to deal with all trac-hacks that users may
have installed. It may be possible to introduce additional plugins to
deal with particularly important trac-hack plugins that re-migrate data
from the original model. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how this
will work!

Cheers,
    Gary

Posted by Daniel Brownridge <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,

Another plus one on this!

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Gary <ga...@physics.org> wrote:
[...]

> I would like to propose that Apache Bloodhound should migrate away from
> Trac as a base and instead use the Django web framework.
>
> [...]

> My proposal as it is does not intend to go any further than settle the
> question of our desire to change from Trac to Django but there are
> decisions around some of the practicalities that are worth considering.
>
> [...]

> There are still a range of ways that we could implement such a migration
> to Django,

In my opinion this should be the first thing we should do if there is
consensus on migrating to Django . Bloodhound v0.9 (or whatever other
version number is chosen) architecture proposal plus milestones .

[...]

> Regardless of other decisions, the scope of the project should remain
> broadly the same, so we would be aiming to have reasonable feature
> parity including, amongst other stuff:
>
>  * Multi tracker support (multi-product)
>  * Integrated wiki
>  * Fast search plugin
>  * SCM integration
>
> We will obviously also need to ensure that we can migrate from a
> bloodhound based on Trac to any new version.
>

> [...]

+1

Olemis - @olemislc

Apacheā„¢ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound
http://blood-hound.net

Brython committer
http://brython.info
http://github.com/brython-dev/brython

SciPy Latin America - Ambassador

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [Proposal] Migrate platform from Trac to Django

Posted by John Chambers <ch...@apache.org>.
It's a +1 for this proposal from me.

I like the idea of a set of modules that can be run independently or
together within the Django framework.
Hopefully there will be more interest in taking part in the project as a
result of this proposal.

I am looking forward to the discussions / working towards a release based
on Django.

Cheers,
John.

Posted by Dammina Sahabandu <dm...@gmail.com>.