Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2013/05/14 10:16:31 UTC

[buildbot] investigate nightly windows build

Hi,

our buildbot building trunk nightly for windows has problems in modul
apr since a couple of days.
Unfortunately, the log does provide nothing for a reason not known to me.

Thus, I will try to investigate the problem.
Hopefully, I can change the buildbot script to get the build output
directly on stdout instead of as html. The html output is currently not
containing the corresponding information about the build of module apr.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [buildbot] investigate nightly windows build

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 14.05.2013 16:58, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:16:31AM +0200, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> our buildbot building trunk nightly for windows has problems in
>> modul apr since a couple of days.
>> Unfortunately, the log does provide nothing for a reason not known to me.
>>
>> Thus, I will try to investigate the problem.
>> Hopefully, I can change the buildbot script to get the build output
>> directly on stdout instead of as html. The html output is currently
>> not containing the corresponding information about the build of
>> module apr.
>
> This seems to be a general problem with the code that copies the logs,
> with the directories outside main, just look at
> http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/linux64/log/unxlngx6.pro.build.html
>
> apr
> apr-util
> cionmp
> hunspell
> serf
>
> all report "No Such Resource File not found."

While making the temporary adjustments for further investigations
Herbert and myself noticed that the logs from modules in directory
ext_libraries are not copied.
Thanks Herbert for fixing this.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver,

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:16:31AM +0200, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our buildbot building trunk nightly for windows has problems in
> modul apr since a couple of days.
> Unfortunately, the log does provide nothing for a reason not known to me.
>
> Thus, I will try to investigate the problem.
> Hopefully, I can change the buildbot script to get the build output
> directly on stdout instead of as html. The html output is currently
> not containing the corresponding information about the build of
> module apr.

This seems to be a general problem with the code that copies the logs,
with the directories outside main, just look at
http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/linux64/log/unxlngx6.pro.build.html

apr
apr-util
cionmp
hunspell
serf

all report "No Such Resource File not found."

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [buildbot] investigate nightly windows build

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 17.05.2013 01:57, Andrew Rist wrote:

>>> This is not the case.  The clean build is not the panacea you see it
>>> as.  As mentioned in several other communications, I went onto the box
>>> and cleaned up some processes that were hung (win7, win7snap, and
>>> win7ia2).  All built successfully - even though the other two were
>>> incremental.   The hung processes tend to occur /more/ during clean
>>> builds - not all the time, just more often.  Thus, clean builds are more
>>> likely to create this type of build failure, they are not a fix as
>>> you're suggesting.
>>>

>> Thanks for the information.
>> In order to have something more tangible for fixing this defect of
>> hanging build processes I propose to start an corresponding
>> investigation.
> Sounds good...

thx, for the +1

>> At least we should have a look after each build, esp. after each clean
>> build, if there are processes which hang.
>> Andrew, can only you perform such an investigation, because (as far as
>> I know) you are the only who have direct access on the machine?
> This I am not signing up for - I can't really commit to having the time
> to focus on this.  I will help interacting with infra to get access for
> any committer that wants to take this on..
> (I will look next time we get one of these and at least specifically
> identify what process is hanging and post that back, but I am afraid the
> debugging of the stack is going to be a bit more involved)

Sorry, again a misunderstanding.
I just wanted to know, if currently only you had the karma to perform
such an investigation - I did not meant that you have to perform it.
Thus, it would be great (and needed), that one or two or three
volunteers show up in order to take responsibility here.
Thanks to Andrew for the offer to interact with infra for getting the
karma for these volunteers.

Who has interest to take responsibility here?

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 5/16/2013 1:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15.05.2013 21:51, Andrew Rist wrote:
>>
>> On 5/15/2013 12:03 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Done and Thx to Herbert triggering a clean build.
>>> Unfortunately, the build was successful. Thus, I assume the reason
>>> that we had no nightly windows builds from trunk since 2013-04-28 was
>>> that no clean build had been performed.
>> This is not the case.  The clean build is not the panacea you see it
>> as.  As mentioned in several other communications, I went onto the box
>> and cleaned up some processes that were hung (win7, win7snap, and
>> win7ia2).  All built successfully - even though the other two were
>> incremental.   The hung processes tend to occur /more/ during clean
>> builds - not all the time, just more often.  Thus, clean builds are more
>> likely to create this type of build failure, they are not a fix as
>> you're suggesting.
>>

> Thanks for the information.
> In order to have something more tangible for fixing this defect of
> hanging build processes I propose to start an corresponding
> investigation.
Sounds good...

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 31.05.2013 01:28, Andrew Rist wrote:

>>> Thanks for the cleaning - #120 build of aoo-w7ia2 went well
>>>
>>> I will switch on the HTML output for aoo-w7ia2 again.
>>> I will mark the log collection task to be always performed - may be this
>>> will give us HTML logs even when a failure occurs.
>>>

>> The Bad: #121 build of aoo-w7ia2 failed again.
>> The Good: The HTML log collection in case of such a failure works.
>>
>> The HTML logs of #121 (which will be overwritten by the next build)
>> reveals that modules apr and sc were built successfully, but the
>> 'deliver' steps were not performed. I assume this is again caused by
>> one (or more) hanging process(es)
>>
>> @Andrew:
>> When you have time, please have a look at the machine. If possible,
>> please provide information about the hanging processes in case they
>> are existing and causing again the failure.
> hung process:
> cl /nologo /?
> with a parent process of:
> C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c "dmake -P2 verbose=true > [long path]/apr.txt 2>&1"
> with the parent process of:
> [long path]\build.pl --all --html -P -- -P
>
> (all I need to clean up is to kill the cl process, and the others
> eventually exit)
> (and it's cleaned up now)

First, thanks again for the clean up.

Second, why is there still a "cl /nologo /?" process?
Because, I am too stupid. I have made the change to the apr makefile
(removing the call to this process) on trunk and did not integrate this
change into branch ia2.
I will catch up on it next week.

> A.
>

>> As nobody else showed up I am volunteering to take care for our
>> Windows buildbots. Andrew, can you support me to get the corresponding
>> karma to have direct access to the machine(s) hosting our Windows
>> buildbots?
> I'll look for you coming online, and we can do that over IRC

Did you mean the IRC from ASF infra?
If we want to do it via IRC (via the ASF Infra one or another one) I
think we need to make an appointment. In general our working hours are
more or less not overlapping.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

#117 build of aoo-w7ia2 showed again the error.
Thus, following #118 build fails - it could not remove
/ext_libraries/apr/wntmcsi12/misc/apr-1.4.5/Makefile.win

A deeper look into the #117 build output reveals the following:
- module apr was successful build, but the 'deliver' was not performed.

While searching for the reason Andre and myself again consulted Andrew's
information about the hanging processes. Andrew mentioned process
"cl.exe - cl /nologo /?". We search for the corresponding code which
starts such a process. We found it inside the makefile uses for the
Windows apr build - namely
/ext_libraries/apr/wntmcsi12/misc/apr-1.4.5/Makefile.win. The process
seems to be used to determine, if a 64bit compiler should be used or not.
As we have a 32bit compiler for our Windows platform, I will simplify
this makefile.
Hopefully this will solve our buildbot problems.

> For the coming clean build of aoo-win7 at the weekend I will switch off
> its HTML output in order to have some output in case the problem with
> the hanging process occurs.

clean build of aoo-win7 went well. Thus, I reverted the temporary switch
off of the HTML output.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

#105 had hanging process
#106 went well after your process cleaning
#107, #108, #109, #110 had again problems with hanging processes
#111 went well after your process cleaning
#112 the first successful build without your invention
#113 went well with my first temporary investigation stuff - failure
just because of error in copying non-existing HTML logs.
#114 went well with my second investigation stuff

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 5/22/2013 3:30 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 17.05.2013 23:11, Andrew Rist wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>> I have seen that #621 of aoo-win7 also had this error and that you had
>> again cleaned up the hanging processes.
>>
>> In order to get some error output I will switch off the HTML output (no
>> "--html" option) and the multiprocessor build (no "-P2 -- -P2" options)
>> before the weekly clean build of aoo-win7 and for the aoo-w7ia2 build
>> which is always clean.
>>

> Build #113 of aoo-w7ia2 went well.
> The failure occured just because I forgot to disable the collection of
> the HTML build logs.
I'm confused - was there something wrong with the w7ia2 build.  The
previous two builds were clean: http://ci.apache.org/builders/aoo-w7ia2
Other than stumbling over hung processes, I don't think there is an
issue with ia2.
A.

> May be the former errors are related to the multiprocessor build.
> I will switch on the multiprocessor build inside each module - "--
> -P2" option for the next build.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group
Redwood Shores, CA | 650.506.9847

Re: [buildbot] investigate nightly windows build

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 17.05.2013 23:11, Andrew Rist wrote:

> [snip]

>>> The build was not "killed" - the process that was running didn't report
>>> back in 12000 sec = 200 min or  3+hours
>>> At that point the buildbot tries to clean up, but this is the reaction,
>>> not the root cause.
>>>
>>>     command timed out: 12000 seconds without output, killing pid 2472
>>>     SIGKILL failed to kill process
>>>     using fake rc=-1
>>>     program finished with exit code -1
>>>

>> That is what I meant by "killed" - sorry for not expressing myself clear.
>>
>>> When I checked it later, the process was still hung  (thus it's unlikely
>>> that our problem is just with the length of the timeout). This is what
>>> one of these hung processes looks like, and any subsequent builds will
>>> fail if it's not cleaned up, as the processes lock files and block
>>> subsequent compiles of the same package.
>>>

>> Thanks for having a look.
>> Build #106 of aoo-w7ia2 went well after your clean up.
>> Unfortunately, build #107 of aoo-w7ia2 had again the same failure as
>> build #105.
> ok - so I am now killing the hung processes - here is what I find:
>
>   * cl.exe - cl /nologo /?
>   * sh.exe - C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c "dmake -P2 verbose=true >
>     /cygdrive/.../apr.txt 2>&1"
>   * perl.exe - C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe E:/.../build.pl --all --html -P2
>     -- -P2
>
> when I kill the cl process the other two come to life - i.e. that's the
> hung process
> looking in to the html progress page, the build is now finishing without
> reporting errors.

Thanks for the information.

I have seen that #621 of aoo-win7 also had this error and that you had
again cleaned up the hanging processes.

In order to get some error output I will switch off the HTML output (no
"--html" option) and the multiprocessor build (no "-P2 -- -P2" options)
before the weekly clean build of aoo-win7 and for the aoo-win7-ia2 build
which is always clean.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,