Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk> on 2022/12/16 09:12:45 UTC

OFBiz 21.01 releases

Hello,

The ofbiz project recently announced there would be no further releases for
18.12.

Has there been any releases for version 21.01, and if so should they be
downloadable from the ofbiz website?

Thanks,

Dan

--
Daniel Watford

https://watfordconsulting.com
<https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/n2QFCVVyf2vLXvhGoNoa/>

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Dan,

remark: it will be an 22.01 release, not 21.01. We have created the
branch at the beginning of this year.

Stable  branches generally only receive bug fixes and - if the community
agrees - non-breaking small features. So yes.

Best regards,

Michael

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk>.
Thanks, Jacques.

--
Daniel Watford

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> The workaround is easy, the rest I doubt. Like this comment at top of GenericEntity.java
To be clear the issue I fixed with the workaround is about immutability

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> The workaround is easy, the rest I doubt. Like this comment at top of GenericEntity.java
>
>     /** Contains the fields for this entity. Note that this should always be a
>      *  HashMap to allow for two things: non-synchronized reads (synchronized
>      *  writes are done through synchronized setters) and being able to store
>      *  null values. Null values are important because with them we can distinguish
>      *  between desiring to set a value to null and desiring to not modify the
>      *  current value on an update.
>      */
>     private Map<String, Object> fields = new HashMap<>();
>
> There are certainly solutions but I guess not as easy as the workaround.
To be more clear the issue I fixed with the workaround is about immutability

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Daniel,

I was considering to commit in trunk because of the pending changes I have for OFBIZ-12721 "Replace all occurrences of java.util.TimeZone by
java.time.ZoneId" and this one.
But I finally decided not. I can live with it until we decide to run under Gradle 7.6 and JDK 17. I do and had no issues for a month before running
integration tests.

The workaround is easy, the rest I doubt. Like this comment at top of GenericEntity.java

     /** Contains the fields for this entity. Note that this should always be a
      *  HashMap to allow for two things: non-synchronized reads (synchronized
      *  writes are done through synchronized setters) and being able to store
      *  null values. Null values are important because with them we can distinguish
      *  between desiring to set a value to null and desiring to not modify the
      *  current value on an update.
      */
     private Map<String, Object> fields = new HashMap<>();

There are certainly solutions but I guess not as easy as the workaround.

Also, I'm not much worried, but as we know JDK 11 will no longer be supported without paying in 2023. Could be an issue for prospects or even clients.

Last but not least, I'd like to run the demos under Gradle 7.6 and JDK 17. I'm confident it should work after running the tests. That would accelerate
things (more free testing)...

Jacques

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases

Posted by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk>.
Hi Jacques,

Will you be committing your fix/workaround under OFBIZ-12726?

If this change goes in to the code perhaps we should consider it a stop-gap
to unblock moving OFBiz to JDK 17 as it seems to go again the spirit of
strong encapsulation described in the migration guide you linked to: Migrating
From JDK 8 to Later JDK Releases (oracle.com)

--
Daniel Watford

Re: OFBiz 21.01 releases