Posted to site-dev@james.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2009/11/24 01:33:00 UTC

[James Wiki] Update of "FrontPage" by SimonFunnell

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "James Wiki" for change notification.

The "FrontPage" page has been changed by SimonFunnell.
http://wiki.apache.org/james/FrontPage?action=diff&rev1=37&rev2=38

  ##language:en
  #pragma section-numbers off
-
  James is a 100% pure Java SMTP and POP3 Mail server, and NNTP News server designed to be a complete and portable enterprise mail/messaging engine solution based on currently available open messaging protocols.

  Amongst the benefits of James over other mail platforms is its support for building custom mail handling applications.

- [[http://james.apache.org|The James Project]] hosts the [[MailetAPI|Apache Mailet API]], and James provides an implementation of this mail application platform API.

+ James is based upon the [[http://avalon.apache.org|Apache Avalon application framework]]. The Avalon project has closed. '''Don't Panic'''. James is alive and well. We haven't got any real problems with the versions of Avalon things we depend upon, but we understand that we can't continue to offer James deployed on an end-of-line'd platform. So we're currently discussing all the options, and trying to reach a happy consensus about the way to go next. In the meantime the James team will continue to support our users with all of their James related issues, and if there are Avalon issues in there we'll help there too. The Avalon code we depend upon is still here at the ASF and we can fork it if we want to make changes before we arrive at an avalon-free James.
- James is based upon the [[http://avalon.apache.org|Apache Avalon application framework]].
- The Avalon project has closed. '''Don't Panic'''. James is alive and well. We haven't got any real problems with the versions of Avalon things we depend upon, but we understand that we can't continue to offer James deployed on an end-of-line'd platform. So we're currently discussing all the options, and trying to reach a happy consensus about the way to go next.
- In the meantime the James team will continue to support our users with all of their James related issues, and if there are Avalon issues in there we'll help there too. The Avalon code we depend upon is still here at the ASF and we can fork it if we want to make changes before we arrive at an avalon-free James.

  ----
- This is the Wiki for the James project.  A Wiki is a collaborative hypertext environment, with an emphasis on easy access to and modification of information.  '''Please use the James mailing lists to discuss the content of these pages.  The purpose of the Wiki is to record and edit plans/proposals/notions that are discussed on the mailing lists.'''
+ This is the Wiki for the James project.  A Wiki is a collaborative hypertext environment, with an emphasis on easy access to and modification of information.  '''Please use the James mailing lists to discuss the content of these pages.  The purpose of the Wiki is to record and edit plans/proposals/notions that are discussed on the mailing lists.'''
+
  ----
+
-  *  JamesQuickstart - Beginners guide to have James running quickly.
+  * JamesQuickstart - Beginners guide to have James running quickly.
-  *  FrequentlyAskedQuestions - On usage and configuration
+  * FrequentlyAskedQuestions - On usage and configuration
-  *  [[Development]] - Developer Discussions
+  * [[Development]] - Developer Discussions
-  *  JamesVolunteers - Volunteers contributing to the James Project
+  * JamesVolunteers - Volunteers contributing to the James Project
-  *  JamesUsers - Users interested in talk about how they use James
+  * JamesUsers - Users interested in talk about how they use James
-  *  JamesByTheNumbers - Scalability testing.
+  * JamesByTheNumbers - Scalability testing.
-  *  JamesForYourBoss - Selling James to your boss.
+  * JamesForYourBoss - Selling James to your boss.
-  *  JamesRelatedTools - other tools that work well with James
+  * JamesRelatedTools - other tools that work well with James
-  *  MailetIdeas - various (probably not yet implemented) ideas for mail processing
+  * MailetIdeas - various (probably not yet implemented) ideas for mail processing
-  *  MailetVsProcmail - comparing and contrasting ways to process email messages
+  * MailetVsProcmail - comparing and contrasting ways to process email messages
-  *  MailetRoadMap
+  * MailetRoadMap
-  *  SpamBlocking - sites, organizations, products, and articles to help reduce spam.
+  * SpamBlocking - sites, organizations, products, and articles to help reduce spam.
-  *  NoFastFail - explanation of why we don't and in general why it isn't very effective.
+  * NoFastFail - explanation of why we don't and in general why it isn't very effective.
-  *  FastFail - developer discussion of Fast-Fail plans.
+  * FastFail - developer discussion of Fast-Fail plans.
-  *  JamesV3 - James version 3 in development
+  * JamesV3 - James version 3 in development
+  * JamesUserTypes - Defines the roles and responsibilities of the various user types.
-  *  JamesDocumentationNotes: notes on what has been recently asked/answered and should get into the FAQ/CVS docs at some point.
+  * JamesDocumentationNotes: notes on what has been recently asked/answered and should get into the FAQ/CVS docs at some point.
-    *  [[log4j|Log4J in James]]
+   * [[log4j|Log4J in James]]
-    *  LogRotation
+   * LogRotation
-    *  SmartOrSecondaryHost
+   * SmartOrSecondaryHost
-    *  CustomMailetPackages
+   * CustomMailetPackages
-    *  SettingUpFetchpop
+   * SettingUpFetchpop
-    *  [[UsingSSL]]
+   * [[UsingSSL]]
-    *  HandlingExceptions
+   * HandlingExceptions
-    *  UpgradingToAttributes
+   * UpgradingToAttributes
-    *  [[Embedded]] - integrate with other app servers such as Tomcat and JBoss
+   * [[Embedded]] - integrate with other app servers such as Tomcat and JBoss
-    *  RunAsService - Run as a unix service
+   * RunAsService - Run as a unix service
-    *  [[ClamAVScan]] - antivirus scan mailet using ClamAV's CLAMD daemon
+   * [[ClamAVScan]] - antivirus scan mailet using ClamAV's CLAMD daemon
-    *  [[Bayesian_Analysis]] - spam detection mailets using bayesian analysis techniques
+   * [[Bayesian_Analysis]] - spam detection mailets using bayesian analysis techniques
-    *  ConfigureJmx
+   * ConfigureJmx
-    *  Outlook2002Problems - 0x8004210B error
+   * Outlook2002Problems - 0x8004210B error
-  *  DevelopmentToolNotes - How to configure and use tools that assist in the development of James
+  * DevelopmentToolNotes - How to configure and use tools that assist in the development of James
-  *  JamesPostage - a tool for testing James, using configurable mail traffic profiles
+  * JamesPostage - a tool for testing James, using configurable mail traffic profiles
   * [[http://www.nabble.com/James-f141.html|James Forum /Archive]] - an unofficial forum hosted by [[http://www.nabble.com|Nabble]] archiving  the James project mailing lists. You can cross search or browse project messages there. You can also search the 5 James mailing lists at [[http://james.markmail.org|james.markmail.org]].
   * [[http://www.java201.com/resources/browse/31-all.html|James Resources]] - Articles, Books, Tutorials.
+
  ----
  Interesting starting points:
+
-   * RecentChanges: see where people are currently working
+  * RecentChanges: see where people are currently working
-   * [[http://wiki.apache.org/general/HelpForBeginners|to get you going]]
+  * [[http://wiki.apache.org/general/HelpForBeginners|to get you going]]
-   * [[http://wiki.apache.org/general/WikiSandBox|feel free to change this page and experiment with editing]]
+  * [[http://wiki.apache.org/general/WikiSandBox|feel free to change this page and experiment with editing]]
-   * FindPage: search or browse the database in various ways