Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Andreas Weber <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/23 12:00:09 UTC

Upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 failed

Hi,

I develop an application which used derby 10.6 and now I wanted to
upgrade to 10.7.x -
but I run into following error on startup of the database (no matter
what application (my app, SQuirrel, OpenOffice base) I use, and with
all databases I could find):

Restore of a serializable or SQLData object of class , attempted to
read more data than was originally stored

--- any suggestions if this is a bug in the newest derby driver, or
something I can rectify within my database design?

Thanks a million,

Andreas

--
Threepwood: Ha-ha! Taste cold steel, feeble cannon restraint rope!

Re: Upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 failed

Posted by Andreas Weber <se...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, I never received this reply :-/ Ill try with the new version and let
you know, thank you!!

Re: Upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 failed

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi Andreas,

This may be https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5289. You may
want to build the head of the 10.8 branch and try upgrading to that
version. Alternatively, you may want to wait to upgrade until 10.8.2 is
published. The current schedule for 10.8.2 can be found here:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenEightTwoRelease

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Posted by Andreas Weber <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andreas Weber <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Andreas Weber <se...@gmail.com>.

Thank you, I never received this reply :-/ It seems the bug may be fixed in
derby 10.8

Re: Upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 failed

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
> but I run into following error on startup of the database (no matter
> what application (my app, SQuirrel, OpenOffice base) I use, and with
> all databases I could find):
>
> Restore of a serializable or SQLData object of class , attempted to
> read more data than was originally stored

I'm not sure what's going on here; can you post the full stacktrace
from your derby.log file?

Did you do a soft upgrade or a hard upgrade?

Does your database contain BLOB columns?

The last several times I've seen this message, it has been due either
to bugs in the Derby code or due to a corrupt database.

Either way, it would be a good idea at this point to open a Derby
issue in JIRA and start collecting as much information as you can in
order to work with the Derby developers to analyze this in more detail.

http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

thanks,

bryan