Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Rodrigo Aguinaga <ro...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 23:24:36 UTC

PO contract

Hi,

  I wanted to know if there's a way to define a PO contract ( or open PO )
on OFBiz.
  What I mean as PO contract, it's a "PO" that could be used many times with
the same supplier and the same prices (at least on a define period of time).
Let's say I always buy supplies on each end of month and I would like to
create the PO every time, so what this does it's to have a pre-build PO so
you can enter the date and release it.
  I think that it could be done like a new type of Quote, one that after you
create a PO from it, let's you create another.
  If this doesn't exist I would like to open a JIRA about it, so please let
me know what you think.

--
Rodrigo Aguinaga Lira

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Rodrigo,

Rodrigo Aguinaga wrote:
> Yes it  does makes sense, but this would be like a big change in the
> agreement concept I think (it started as a accounting feature), but since
> it's going to be move to order managment, I belive this change could be
> done
> with this modifications.

Yes, I really think that agreements are the best way to implement this
stuff.
And agreements are already implemented in this way to support sales
price lists (see
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Agreements+Price+Lists )
so it would be a 'natural' extension.

> Now that you mentioned the supplier product entity, I wanted to know if
> theres like a supplier price list that groups this entites. I haven't found
> it and I actually belive there isn't, so it would be a good thing to add
> this feature, what do you think??

Have a look at the link above to understand how a sales price list based
on agreements is set up; a purchase price list would be organized in the
same way; there is also a PDF report (and XML export) for the agreement
price list.

Jacopo

Re: PO contract

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
As I see it with interaction in any community a person who wishes to
interact has two choices:

1. speak in a way that is open to response and focused on the topics
at hand

2. speak in general terms instead of about details and use personal
attacks to shut down the discussion

-David

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Replies inline

Re: PO contract

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
It's really not a large change.  Just a correction.
The first link is how the data model currently is.
This second is my proposed change.  While there could
be some tidying up with the fks to the Party entities,
that's a bit beyond the scope and certainly beyond a
pressing need.

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/3062/2002215157491048351_rs.jpg

http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/2172/2002213016819728875_rs.jpg

Admittedly this is without looking at the code, based
on function following form they shouldn't be
difficult.

1)Remove Agreement.productId, relationships to Product
entities should be through agreementProductAppl.

2)Remove AgreementProductAppl.price.
agreementProductAppl is best suited for agreement
items not based on price

3)Remove AgreementItem.currencyUomId.  When referring
to price lists this is defined in the price rule.
When it's referring to a lump sum, it's defined in the
agreement text.  This can probably be improved through
another manner, but becuase you're not supporting a
number value, currencyUomId wouldn't be helping in a
conversion.

4) merge AgreementPartyApplic and AgreementPartyRole.
AgreementPartyApplic.partyId doesn't mean much without
a context of role.   AgreementPartyRole can be equally
beneficial as AgreementItemPartyRole and leaving
AgreementItemSeqId null.

5) create AgreementPriceRuleApplic or
AgreementPriceRule (to satisfy field length
constraints).  link this to either AgreementItem or
Addendum (I prefer addendum as this is where price
lists are generally spelled out).  fromDate and
thruDate i think would be redundant on this with the
ProductPriceRule.fromDate and thruDate.

6) Investigate further the function of
AgreementTerm.invoiceItemTypeId

As far as actual code, I think it's pretty straight
forward from other implementations, but would be happy
to write some up next week when I have a bit more free
time.

Re: PO contract

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Chris,

sincerely speaking, I'd be a bit worried about the quality of the final
results since it seems to me that you don't have a clear understanding
of how the current *OFBiz* agreement stuff is designed and used.
Please, understand that this is not a lack of trust on your skills, but
such a big task (that will include existing data model, services and
user interface refactoring) would be a challenging task for everyone
(even for core contributors like, for example, Si, David and me).

I'd like to hear the opinions from others about this subject: do we
really need to refactor the agreement data model or can we complete and
refine the existing processes? what are the most urgent limitations in
the current agreement data model?

If you really need to perform this task, I'd suggest to implement it as
an alternative model instead of a replacement of existing
functionalities... maybe it would be easier to implement... but it is
obviously up to you.

Jacopo

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

--- Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> wrote:

> This was already possible with the original (MIT)
> license, and in fact
> there are other projects originated by the OFBiz
> codebase before the
> license change.

The point was about taking advantage of Apache's
goodwill (name, marketability, etc).  With the MIT
license and even the mixed licence there's too much
confusion on what that means.  With the entire project
now being Apache 2.0 licensed there's no confusion.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Chris,

Chris Howe wrote:

  > With OFBiz's now completed Apache 2.0 license anyone
> can strip and scrape any part of OFBiz they want to
> market as their own implementation and still take
> advantage of the Apache goodwill.  You all who consult
> based on OFBiz will be in competition with these other
> implementations.

This was already possible with the original (MIT) license, and in fact
there are other projects originated by the OFBiz codebase before the
license change.

>  Why would you want to allow them to
> point out specifically where things aren't generic
> enough to support a contract that you're both going
> after?  Limit the remarks at your own peril (that line
> was for David ;) a little legitimate FUD for ya).

Sorry, I don't understand.

About your other comments, sorry but they are too generic/abstract and
so I cannot reply to them now.

Jacopo

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

--- Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> wrote:

> Hi Chris, (all)
>
> hmmm... I was hoping that your comments were
> motivated by a careful
> review of the OFBiz existing data model and
> processes, not by general
> and abstract assumptions of how you think an
> agreement data model should
> be designed.

Aside from the assumption being in fact of base, I
don't think it was an unfair assumption given that
OFBiz generally has a generic data model.  How does
the generic term "Agreement" have anything to do with
Product?  If, for example, the Order entities can be
so elegantly seperated from Party, why can't agreement
be elegantly seperated from Product?

> Hopefully now we are not in the process of drafting
> out the agreement
> data model from scratch (and the OFBiz data model in
> general): the data
> model is already in place (and it's very very good,
> even if it is not
> perfect), we have many users running their
> applications on it, and now
> we are trying to implement/complete the processes
> based on it and
> sometimes, while building them, we refine the data
> model itself.

I agree that it is generally a very very good data
model.  However, the imperfections in it are obscurely
imperfect.  Creating functionality based on non
generic, nonmodularized principles forces anyone to
run that part of their business in the manner that
you've implemented it, roll their own in a way that
doesn't allow them to benefit from advancements in
interoperability or not integrate that part of their
business with OFBiz.

> This is the current status of the OFBiz project and
> we should all be on
> the same track: I really think it would be a bad
> thing for the project
> (confusion for users/developers, slow down
> development, backward
> compatibility issues) if we were to assume that,
> every time a new
> feature is discussed, it is a good chance to
> re-implement the OFBiz data
> model starting from some very different abstract
> data model we have in mind.

The only track that we "should" all be on is an
interest in the project improving.  I'm positive that
we are all on that track.  How we go about that
improving, we should be as diverse as possible.

Feel free to go full steam ahead on your feature.
Someone else who has more general use of agreements
and product pricing is simply going to have to
redouble your efforts to allow it to work with other
functionality.

Backwards compatability issues stem from there being a
need in functionality that cannot be obtained from the
current structure.  So, had the structure been generic
enough to obtain said functionality, there wouldn't be
a backwards compatability issue.  Users imagination on
how to use OFBiz is not going to decrease.  There's
not going to be a desire for less functionality.

> We are working on OFBiz an we should focus on OFBiz,
> limiting our
> comments on what we know of OFBiz.

I think that should be slightly rephrased.  We should
limit our comments on what we know of business
processes and how to consistantly implement those
process with OFBiz.

> And finally, as regards the existing OFBiz data
> model and features, I
> think it is wise to limit our remarks  based on real
> use cases we are
> facing with OFBiz and not on the use cases we could
> imagine that could
> happen: by my experience, when we try to forecast
> each and every use
> cases we'll be however missing many of them - the
> real ones ;-) - and we
> will spend a lot of time writing code to handle
> useless scenarios (that
> no one will use, test, implement).

With OFBiz's now completed Apache 2.0 license anyone
can strip and scrape any part of OFBiz they want to
market as their own implementation and still take
advantage of the Apache goodwill.  You all who consult
based on OFBiz will be in competition with these other
implementations.  Why would you want to allow them to

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Chris, (all)

[...]

Sorry for the long post,

Jacopo

Re: PO contract

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Chris,

Chris Howe wrote:
> Let's see how well my "snips" work :)
>
> --- Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>

> IMO all agreement Create/Update/Delete logic should
> remain in party component there should also be
> retrieve logic that allows allows retrieval of
> agreements that a party is party to.
>
> Each other component should have screens that support
> the generic agreement TYPES that one would find
> related to that component.  Any special retrieval
> logic would be in the component that the logic is
> specific to.  If there are complex
> Create/Update/Delete logic that is needed, those
> logics should in the end call on the party services to
> actually change the raw data.  This approach keeps
> everything modularized.

About where to put the *existing* agreement screens (agreement header,
terms, items, item terms, parties, products): I'm not sure to understand
your comments, could you please be more precise and tell me in which
components you would like to see them?

> I think we're allowing the fact that sales pricing is
> not consolodated to make us believe that pricing based
> on a price list is somehow also special.  All you need
> to show that a price you have in your system is based
> on an agreement is to have a join entity between
> AgreementItem and ProductPrice.
>
> I agree that it's beneficial to phase out
> SupplierProduct entity, but it should be integrated
> into the Product entities as a seperate productType.
> The SupplierProduct has nothing to do with an
> Agreement.  This is shown by being able to conduct
> business with most supplier's absent an agreement at
> all.  While you can argue there is a verbal agreement,
> I doubt you would want to maintain that data.

The information in the SupplierProduct are really information that could
be modeled as an agreement (maybe implicit).

> The agreement entities should be reference entities.
> Calculations should not be based on them as that would
> be treating these price lists as if they were somehow
> different that other pricing.  If you want to show
> that a price is based off an agreement create a join
> entity that allows you to show this relationship.
> This shouldn't be a FK because your price can be based
> on several agreements or several agreement items. (ie.
> a distributor having an exhibit that contains an
> everyday price list + a seperate agreement that if his
> supplier offers a discount to the general public, then
> the company recieves x discount off of the general
> public's discount).

No. I could sell (or buy) the same product at different prices (even
from to the same party) based on different agreements (for example with
different terms). So, if you want to use the ProductPrice entity you'll
have to add the agreementId as a PK. And, as I told you before, there
were reasons against this approach.

> The agreement is ancilary information and as such
> should be allowed to be looked at seperately when
> trying to work with the fruits of agreement.  When
> your business logic is trying to get a price for to
> create a PO, it shouldn't have to be aware that this
> price is based on an agreement.

Why?

> When you're entering the agreement and you get to the
> agreementItem that is talking about the price list,
> your screen can have all the input boxes it wants to
> enter your price list.  When you submit the agreement
> your logic should be creating ProductPriceRules (not
> ProductPrice as I mentioned earlier) this will allow
> you to easily create quantity based pricing, etc.

I'm against using price rules to implement price lists based on
agreements: it is not a natural way of handling this, it leads to
complex (in the negative way) data and business logics to treat them.

Chris, thanks for your comments and time but, by the way, are you
planning to implement this stuff or your comments are only here for the
sake of this discussion?

Jacopo

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Chris,

Chris Howe wrote:
> My 2 cents...
>
> Agreement is a party concept.
> It is always a party concept.
> It is sometimes also an accounting concept.
> It is sometimes also an order concept.
> It is sometimes also a product concept.
> It is sometimes also a human resources concept.

This is fair.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
My 2 cents...

Re: PO contract

Posted by Rodrigo Aguinaga <ro...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> if
> > somebody could give some directions on this issue I would appreciate it.
> >
> > Rodrigo
> > PS.  I do belive that move this function to orger manager it's a good
> idea,
> > but someone with accounting admin privileges, should also be able to
> modify
> > this, since there are agreement types like employment and all the
> agreement
> > terms options that they should take a look into.
> >
> > 2006/9/2, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>:
> >>

> >> These are represented in OFBiz using Agreements. You can specify
> >> products and agreed on prices and there is a lot of support for
> >> creating POs from these. Agreements are in the Accounting Manager
> >> right now, but we plan to move them to the order manager soon.

Rodrigo Aguinaga Lira

Re: PO contract

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Rodrigo,

Re: PO contract

Posted by Rodrigo Aguinaga <ro...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I see. And seems to be completely integrated, it's just that I haven't
take a look into this functionality in a very long time, so I didn't realize
the products part just the terms part.

I've been trying to create a PO from a Agreement but I haven't been able to
use the products from the agreement (I mean their prices), it's just that
the don't show up when I create the order, so I thougth that they could be
on the shopping list and they were not. So I manually add one of the
products, but the unit price is the one from the supplier, not the one
defined on the agreement.

I think I must be doing something wrong or maybe there is a bug here, so if
somebody could give some directions on this issue I would appreciate it.

Rodrigo
PS.  I do belive that move this function to orger manager it's a good idea,
but someone with accounting admin privileges, should also be able to modify
this, since there are agreement types like employment and all the agreement
terms options that they should take a look into.

2006/9/2, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>:

> These are represented in OFBiz using Agreements. You can specify
> products and agreed on prices and there is a lot of support for
> creating POs from these. Agreements are in the Accounting Manager
> right now, but we plan to move them to the order manager soon.
>
> -David
>

> On Sep 1, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Rodrigo Aguinaga wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I wanted to know if there's a way to define a PO contract ( or
> > open PO )
> > on OFBiz.
> >  What I mean as PO contract, it's a "PO" that could be used many
> > times with
> > the same supplier and the same prices (at least on a define period
> > of time).
> > Let's say I always buy supplies on each end of month and I would
> > like to
> > create the PO every time, so what this does it's to have a pre-
> > build PO so
> > you can enter the date and release it.
> >  I think that it could be done like a new type of Quote, one that
> > after you
> > create a PO from it, let's you create another.
> >  If this doesn't exist I would like to open a JIRA about it, so
> > please let
> > me know what you think.
> >

> > --
> > Rodrigo Aguinaga Lira

Rodrigo Aguinaga Lira

Re: PO contract

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: PO contract

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
If it's not implemented already, it would use the
ShoppingList entities and then possibly a join to an
agreement.