Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by lmctndi <tn...@hotmail.com> on 2008/02/15 17:16:55 UTC

Searching for multiple criteria (accross 2 tables)

Hi all,

[ Sorry for the cryptic title but I can't think of a better one]

I am trying to integrate Lucene as a search engine for my database and would
appreciate some help on a problem.

First, some info about the development platform, I am developing on Windows
using Hibernate for DB transactions (HSQL) with MySQL as a DB server and am
using Hibernate search (which in turn uses Lucene) to perform searches.

A typical database for the data would be something like this:

Id	Fname	 Lname	Age	Country
1	John	Smith	30	USA
2	John	Doe	20	France
3	Jane	Doe	40	USA

Thus, each row represents one person and each column has data related to
this person.  If I want to search for a "John" living in the "USA", it's a
straight forward "+Fname:John +Country:USA"

However, my database is implemented differently and I have very little
flexibility to change its implementation so I have to work with what is
there.  Here's a sample of the database:

Data Table
Id	Name		Value
--------------------------------
1	Fname		John
1	Lname		Smith
1	Age		30
1	Country		USA
2	Fname		John
2	Lname		Doe
2	Age		20
2	Country		France
3	Fname		Jane
3	Lname		Doe
3	Age		40
3	Country		USA

Now, all rows in Data Table with the same Id represent one IdCard and each
row represents a name-value pair representing the data of each IdCard

IdCard Table
Id	SIN
-------------------------
1	111-111-111
2	222-222-222
3	333-333-333

With this, the simple search above becomes quite complex. Since I have to
work with this current database schema, how do I go about querying for a
"John" living in the "USA" and getting the "IdCard" for such a query?

I tried various methods without success

1. Name-Value (AND) search --> "+Name:Fname +Value:John"  will return 2 hits
(John Doe and John Smith)
2. Double Criteria search --> "+Value:John +Value:USA" won't work because
"value" cannot match 2 different terms
3. "OR" search --> "Value:John Value:USA" will return 4 hits,  2 for John (1
for John Doe and 1 for John Smith) and 2 for USA (1 for John Smith and 1 for
Jane Doe)
4. BooleanQuery and QueryFilters can't help because it basically the same as
a boolean search (with caching and performance enhancements)

I simply need to search the Data Table for various criteria and return the
corresponding IdCard object.

A simple solution can be an equivalent to the SQL "Where" clause.  I can
then do a search on value=John and value=USA where both IDs are the same.
This would then return all the Johns who live n the USA with matching Ids
only.  I can then use this Id to look up the IdCard table to obtain the card
for that person.  Does Lucene supprt such a feature?

If it is of any help, I can make minor changes to the DB schema (like adding
a row for control purposes, etc.) but I cannot rewrite it totally.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: Searching for multiple criteria (accross 2 tables)

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi, lmctndi,

You can liberate yourself from this complicated schema, and use some
SQLs to select out the content and put the data into one Lucene index.

You may need to avoid Hibernate Search here for your case, which limit
you to one way of organizing Lucene indexes. I do think this is where
DBSight comes to rescue (Note: I am developing it.), where you can
quickly and easily have one or several flexible index structures,
incremental indexing, time or other value based ranking, etc.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
What the other posters are referring to is that you will have to
probably write some java code to do lucene indexing:  you can get
access to your model objects (with all their dependent data) in java.
- since you are using hibernate, this shouild be easy- then create
lucene documents from your model objects and index!   These documents
would be searchable in the way you want.

You will probably have to do some reading on how to write lucene
indexing code.

  -jake

Posted by Emmanuel Bernard <em...@hibernate.org>.
Not sure if it's too late for you. But here are my comments if you
want to stick with Hibernate and Hibernate Search

Generally speaking, once you have the query to retrieve the data per
id, you can map this query to an entity in Hibernate using either:
  - @Formula for simple cases
  - @Loader for more complex cases

Once mapped as an entity, the mapping to Lucene via Hibernate Search
is business as usual.

Alternatively, you can use a class level @FieldBridge and map the
data the way you want in Lucene from an entity object. Note that I
don't think this strategy will suit your current needs.

Emmanuel

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lmctndi <tn...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

Your ideas prompts more questions:

I understand what you are saying but don't know how to implement it.  How do
you go about joining all rows of the tables belonging to one person and to

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.