Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeremy Crosbie <Je...@quantum.com> on 2003/08/01 23:55:22 UTC

Tomcat5: running embedded with JMX

Hello, all. I am attempting to run the embedded distribution of Tomcat 5.0.5
on Linux using J2SDK 1.4.2 and running into problems. After tweaking the
tomcat.webapps property to point to the right place and copying the
management application over I am seeing the following stack trace:

[jmx-service] 2109 [main] INFO core.StandardEngine  - Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.0.5
[jmx-service] 3055 [main] ERROR modeler.BaseModelMBean  - Exception invoking
method start
[jmx-service] java.lang.NullPointerException
[jmx-service] 	at
org.apache.commons.collections.ArrayStack.push(ArrayStack.java)
[jmx-service] 	at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.push(Digester.java:2364)
[jmx-service] 	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationConfig(ContextConfig.ja
va:340)
[jmx-service] 	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:720)
[jmx-service] 	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:
271)

I am not seeing any errors during MBean deployment. I have started browsing
the code to attempt to figure out what is going on but I was hoping someone
on this list may have encountered the same problem. I tried searching the
mail archives, Google groups, and the Tomcat site for more documentation on
running embedded but have come up empty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeremy Michael Crosbie