Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/11/17 22:46:12 UTC

Re: Search on docs page?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I missed when the search thingy got put on the top of the /docs-2.0/
> page. Can we either update the data that is getting searched, or remove
> that? Searching for vhost, for example, gives a bunch of 1.3 docs, which
> is rather unintuitive for someone on the 2.0 documentation site. Is
> there any chance that we can just do a google search, limited to a
> certain URL-space? Seems that we'd get more meaningful results.

+1 to using google (yes, they let you do that)

Re: Search on docs page?

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
great idea!

A nice example of this is forrest's integrated google searchbox; to see
it live, point your browser to http://xml.apache.org/

cheers,
Erik

Re: Search on docs page?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > will serve adds on the results pages.  If we don't care about that, then
> > fine.  If we do care, then we could contact google to see if they would
> > remove them for us.
>
> Doesn't google have just such a thing for nonprofits and educationals?  I
> believe they do.

For universities, yes.  I know of no such thing for non-profits in
general.  But we can always ask.

Joshua.

Re: Search on docs page?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > will serve adds on the results pages.  If we don't care about that, then
> > fine.  If we do care, then we could contact google to see if they would
> > remove them for us.
>
> Doesn't google have just such a thing for nonprofits and educationals?  I
> believe they do.

I'll make a note to look into this, and report back.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI

Re: Search on docs page?

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> will serve adds on the results pages.  If we don't care about that, then
> fine.  If we do care, then we could contact google to see if they would
> remove them for us.

Doesn't google have just such a thing for nonprofits and educationals?  I
believe they do.

--Cliff

Re: Search on docs page?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.