Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net> on 2006/06/22 19:35:10 UTC

[Fwd: Re: [dns-operations] negative caching of throwaway spam domains]

Rick Wesson over at Alice's Registry has a dnsrbl listing recently
registered domains (see below). I thought this might be of interest to
SA users. Anyone used this, or other rbl with similar functions?
Scoring?
Accuracy?

Thanks,
Ken A
Pacific.Net

Re: [Fwd: Re: [dns-operations] negative caching of throwaway spam domains]

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Thursday, June 22, 2006, 3:21:36 PM, Ken A wrote:

> Jeff Chan wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 22, 2006, 10:35:10 AM, Ken A wrote:
>>> Rick Wesson over at Alice's Registry has a dnsrbl listing recently
>>> registered domains (see below). I thought this might be of interest to
>>> SA users. Anyone used this, or other rbl with similar functions?
>>> Scoring?
>>> Accuracy?
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ken A
>>> Pacific.Net
>>
>> Hi Ken,
>> I was corresponding with Rick about how to test this and was
>> going to suggest the developers add a test rule.

> # test for Day Old Bread DNSRBL of recently registered domains.

> header  FROM_IN_DOB
> eval:check_rbl_envfrom('dob','dob.sibl.support-intelligence.net.')
> describe        FROM_IN_DOB     Domain recently registered
> tflags  FROM_IN_DOB             net
> score   FROM_IN_DOB             0.1

> This has hit a few spams today. ymmv..

> Ken A
> Pacific.Net

Hi Ken,
It's probably much more useful to use this list to check message
body URIs than envelope froms.  Envelope froms sometimes use
spammy domains, but URIs usually (must) advertise spammer's
sites.  IOW envelope froms can be arbitrarily anything, but URIs
must be real; they must go to some site for the spam to be useful.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: [Fwd: Re: [dns-operations] negative caching of throwaway spam domains]

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Ken A wrote:

> # test for Day Old Bread DNSRBL of recently registered domains.
>
> header  FROM_IN_DOB
> eval:check_rbl_envfrom('dob','dob.sibl.support-intelligence.net.')
> describe        FROM_IN_DOB     Domain recently registered
> tflags  FROM_IN_DOB             net
> score   FROM_IN_DOB             0.1
>
> This has hit a few spams today. ymmv..

Is there an equivalent URIBL rule?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: [Fwd: Re: [dns-operations] negative caching of throwaway spam domains]

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.