Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> on 2006/03/09 13:10:02 UTC

fragids

Hi, appendix A of the spec [1] discusses fragment identifiers. There
is an interface in org.apache.woden.wsdl20.fragids.Component, but
nothing uses it. I don't see anything on the Woden wiki todo list and
nothing in the milestone plan.

Arthur, you added the Component class - do you have any further ideas
about how this will work?

Note: the SCA 0.9 and hence the Tuscany project use this syntax in the
value of the interface attribute of the <interface.wsdl> [2]

Thanks,
Jeremy

[1] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html#frag-ids
[2] p12 of http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/specs/ws-sca/SCA_AssemblyModel_V09.pdf

Re: fragids

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Arthur,
the classes in org.apache.axis.types (including NCName) looked quite
comprehensive in their content checking, but I don't know with any
certainty about spec compliance. Perhaps one of the Axis folks could
comment.

John Kaputin

             Arthur Ryman
             <ryman@ca.ibm.com
                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             09/03/2006 15:54                                           cc
                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: fragids
             woden-dev@ws.apac
                  he.org

John,

Yes, I saw that NCName code. I wonder if it is really spec compliant. Do
you know?

In any case, I agree that any general purpose code we create in Woden
should be ultimately moved out to a common project. From a pragmatic point
of view, I'd prefer to get the fragid code working in Woden and then
refactor the common peices out into ws-commons, or maybe an xml-commons if
that exists.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

 John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>

 03/09/2006 09:13 AM                                 woden-dev@ws.apache.o
                                                     rg
                                                                        cc
            Please respond to

Arthur Ryman wrote:

>> I was looking around for some reusable code to do basic things like
check the validity of characters in various XML constructs (NCName, etc.)

A while back, I copied the NCName class from org.apache.axis.types into
Woden to use for the Endpoint component. Sanjiva pointed out that these XML
types classes had been copied from Axis to Axis2 and now potentially to
Woden, and suggested moving them to ws-commons. These classes would
probably provide the basic type checking logic Arthur mentions.

I have not had time to pursue this yet, but I did create a place holder on
the Woden Wiki TaskList:

Refactor XML types support into ws-commons

Woden has copied org.apache.axis.types.NCName. Per suggestion from Sanjiva,
consider refactoring this types support in Axis, Axis2 and now Woden into a
new ws-commons project.

regards,
John Kaputin

            Arthur Ryman
            <ryman@ca.ibm.com
                                      woden-dev@ws.apache.org
            09/03/2006 13:54                                           cc
                                      jpjhughes@gmail.com,
                                      woden-dev@ws.apache.org
            woden-dev@ws.apac         Re: fragids
                 he.org

Jeremy,

I started to implement this function but didn't commit it. Here are my
thoughts:

1. Generating a fragid from the component model is easy. Just traverse the
component model according to Appendix A and write out the fragid.
2. Parsing a fragid is slightly harder if you want to be a faithful
implementation of the various specs involved: XML, XPath, etc. I was
looking around for some reusable code to do basic things like check the
validity of characters in various XML constructs (NCName, etc.) I think
some of this code now exists in Woden. I started writing the parser.

My goal was to provide some utility classes to write and parse fargids.
Also, to look up a component given a fragid. The primary goal was to
validate the spec (provide a reference implementation). The secondary goal
was to provide reuasable classes for other projects.

Appendix A is actually for the media type registration. The use of fragids
in URI-references in Appendix C is non-normative. We provided this
primarily for RDF but as you pointed put, some other specs do have a need
to refer to WSDL components.

I'll bring the work I started to a commitable state.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
                                                     woden-dev@ws.apache.
03/09/2006 07:10 AM                                  org
                                                                       cc

         woden-dev@ws.apache.org                     fragids

Re: fragids

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.

[...]