Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Li Tao <ah...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/04 03:58:13 UTC

Re: Offset rollover/overflow?

It will never happan.

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.
I can't be sure of how every client will handle it, it is probably not
likely, and there could potentially be unforeseen issues.

That said, given that offsets are stored in a (signed) Long. I would
suspect that it would rollover to negative values and increment from there.
That means instead of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 potential offset values,
you actually have 18,446,744,073,709,551,614 potential values. To put that
into perspective if we assign 1 byte to each offset thats just over 18
Exabytes.

You will likely run into many more issues other than offset rollover,
before you are able to retain 18 Exabytes in single Kafka topic. (And if
not, I would evaluate breaking up your topic into multiple smaller ones).

Thanks,
Grant

--
Grant Henke