Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2003/03/05 06:44:45 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Hello World Benchmarks v1.02

Hey,

I have published the latest Hello World benchmarks, available at:

   http://chamas.com/bench/

Just updated are:

   - PHP 4.3.0 built with domxml extensions for XSLT tests
   - HTML::Embperl 1.3.6
   - HTML::Mason 1.19

The PHP XSLT test are new, and the performance is similar is Embperl2 and it
doesn't seem to have a built in XSLT caching layer like AxKit, Apache::ASP & Resin.

I thought it was interesting that Embperl 2 (barely) beat out PHP 4.3.0
on XSLT in both the XSLT Hello & XSLT Big tests.

Regards,

Josh

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Hello World Benchmarks v1.02

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> This differs from Embperl where the application layer itself handles
> the XSLT rending, not the script/XML file:
>
>      PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_RECIPE LibXSLT
>      PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_XSLTPROC libxslt
>      PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_XSLTSTYLESHEET $ROOT/hello.xsl
>
> So perhaps Embperl 2 is able to do some things like caching of style
> sheets and the like internally that PHP doesn't do for one?

Yes, Embperl per default caches a "compiled" version of the stylsheet in
memory.

Gerald

P.S. There are also options to cache the result of the xslt transformation
or any itermediate steps

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Josh Chamas wrote:
>

>>I thought it was interesting that Embperl 2 (barely) beat out PHP 4.3.0
>>on XSLT in both the XSLT Hello & XSLT Big tests.
>

> Why is that interesting?  A bit more background would be
> interesting. :-)   (post it to the list maybe).

My experience has been that raw mod_perl handlers, PHP scripts & Resin JSP
tend to be the fastest on the benchmarks generally ( aside from the pure
C handlers of course! ) ... so when Embperl2 beats out PHP on the XSLT tests,
I was a bit surprised, especially since both of the benchmarks are using
libxslt ( http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/ ).

Neither environment seems to have a XSLT specific caching mechanism,
so I would have guessed that PHP would beat out Embperl2.  Gerald
must have done a fine job on the Embperl XSLT implementation to
beat out PHP here.

Perhaps its due to that PHP does not really integrate XSLT other than
some additional API calls.  The script itself is causing the XSLT
rendering to happen:

<?php
$xmldoc = domxml_open_file('hxslt.xml');
$xsldoc = domxml_xslt_stylesheet_file('hello.xsl');
$result = $xsldoc->process($xmldoc);
echo $xsldoc->result_dump_mem($result);
?>

Re: Wanted: Experience with EmbPerl on Win2000/Apache HTTPD?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Richard Heintze wrote:

> Since I had such a tough time installing mod_perl on
> Win2000, I thought I would solicit for experiences
> getting Hello, World running with EmbPerl on Apache
> HTTPD on Windows2000.
>
> What URL did you download embperl from?
> Did you get any errors during installation?
> What is the URL you used for installation
> instructions?
> What is the URL you used for the instructions for
> getting HelloWorld to appear?

This might be more appropriate for the embperl mailing
list ... For basic installation, we have an Embperl
ppm package at http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
for ActivePerl 6xx builds (and mod_perl-1/Apache-1).
There's still a bit of work needed to get Embperl ported
to ActivePerl 8xx and/or mod_perl-2/Apache-2. For basic
usage, check out http://perl.apache.org/embperl/.

--
best regards,
randy kobes

Wanted: Experience with EmbPerl on Win2000/Apache HTTPD?

Posted by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com>.
Since I had such a tough time installing mod_perl on
Win2000, I thought I would solicit for experiences
getting Hello, World running with EmbPerl on Apache
HTTPD on Windows2000.

What URL did you download embperl from?
Did you get any errors during installation?
What is the URL you used for installation
instructions?
What is the URL you used for the instructions for
getting HelloWorld to appear?

  Thanks,
      Siegfried

http://taxes.yahoo.com/