Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/10 18:12:56 UTC

Re: Exceptions thrown in IndexingSpi and "fail fast" principle

Ilya,

It's really hard question. Generally fail-fast principle is a good
idea. Ignoring every error can lead to real damage.

But in fact it is very general statement. Pure fail-fast sounds not
good solution for a server application which should work stable for
many hours. And nobody is free from bugs. So, some kind of "defensive
programming" is needed here. I believe that it should be solved
architecturally. Some code could be executed in blocks where all
exceptions are ignored. Other code (critical core) should lead to node
fails in case of unexpected errors to prevent a damage from
unpredictable consequences.

Regarding IndexingSpi. I cannot immediately reason what exceptions and
when can be ignored. I prefer to keep things easy and I suppose that
every behavior could be specified in API. It is really hard to say why
it is possible to ignore any exception thrown by external spi
implementation. And an implementation itself can be written
defensively and catch any Throwable, but also taking care about
maintaining it's state consistent after experiencing an error.
Shortly, option B. generally does not look so bad for me? Cannot we
require defensive style for ndexingSpi implementations?

--
Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin