Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Martin Brandtner <br...@ifi.uzh.ch> on 2014/05/28 13:08:20 UTC

Survey on Project Conventions

Hello

My name is Martin Brandtner [1] and I’m a software engineering researcher
at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.
Together with Philipp Leitner [2], I currently work on an approach to
detect violations of project conventions based on data from the source code
repository, the issue tracker (e.g. Jira), and the build system (e.g.
Jenkins).

One example for such a project convention is: “You need to make sure that
the commit message contains at least the name of the contributor and
ideally a reference to the Bugzilla or JIRA issue where the patch was
submitted.” [3]

The idea is that our approach can detect violation of such a convention
automatically and therefore support the development process.

First of all we need conventions and that’s why we ask you to take part in
our survey. In the survey, we present five conventions and want you to rate
their relevance in your Apache project. Everybody contributing to your
Apache project can take part in this survey because we also want to see if
different roles may have different opinions about a convention.
The survey is totally anonymous and it will take about 15 minutes to answer
it.

We would be happy if you could fill out our survey under:
http://ww3.unipark.de/uc/SEAL_Research/1abe/ before June 13, 2014.

With the data collected in this survey we will implement a convention
violation detection in our tool called SQA-Timeline [4]. If your are
interested in our work, contact us via email or provide your email address
in the survey.

Best regards,
Martin and Philipp

[1] http://www.ifi.uzh.ch/seal/people/brandtner.html