Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Iker Huerga <ik...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/27 23:20:08 UTC

New contributor?

Hi Ignite team,

My name is Iker Huerga, I'm a Software Engineer, Data Scientist and
entrepreneur with more than 8 years of experience in Java, I was a
Lucene/Solr contributor in the past, and have been using Hadoop in
production for more than 3 years now.

After being contacted by one the members of this community I got intriged
by the project you guys are working on. I took a look at the code and
documentation, and would like to say 'kudos' to all of you. It's clear that
there is a huge amount of work behind Ignite.

I would like to see whether I can be a contributor to Ignite, but there's
been a question in the back of my mind since I started reading about
Ignite, what is the main difference with Apache Spark?

Please note that I've already read the proposal [1], and I get the point
that Ignite is a more general in-memory engine. But Spark also provide
streaming processing, mapreduce computations, etc. Would you say the main
difference is ACID trx in memory?

Also, what is the route map for Ignite? Is it production ready?

Sorry for so many questions..... in exchange of an answer I can take care
of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-640  if you guys want to
assign it to me

Thanks in advance!
Iker

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IgniteProposal

--
Iker Huerga
http://www.ikerhuerga.com/

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Iker Huerga <ik...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Iker

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Iker Huerga <ik...@gmail.com>.

--
Iker Huerga
http://www.ikerhuerga.com/

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:01PM, Ognen Duzlevski wrote:
> Nikita, (thanks for the addition to an already nice answer by Cos! See my
> question below;
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Nikita Ivanov <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to add to excellent Cos's response:
> > - The code base for Apache Ignite has been in production usage since 2007.
> > It's the only in-memory system that I'm aware of that can boast over 2000
> > nodes in a single mission critical installation working in a fully
> > transactional topology.
> >

> Perhaps you can then answer my question from a different thread: what do
> people do when they want to add additional proprietary  classes to be
> cached to a live ignite topology? Surely they don't stop all 2,000 nodes,
> copy a new jar around and restart all 2,000 nodes? :-)

There's so called 'Peer class loading' as per
  http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs/zero-deployment

but looks like you're looking for somewhat different usecase. I wonder if you
should be able to distribute the classes to the nodes and then do the rolling
restart. Just thinking out load - not 100% sure. Perhaps some of the old-timer
can chime in

Cos

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Ognen Duzlevski <og...@gmail.com>.

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 04:46PM, Nikita Ivanov wrote:
> Just to add to excellent Cos's response:
> - The code base for Apache Ignite has been in production usage since 2007.
> It's the only in-memory system that I'm aware of that can boast over 2000
> nodes in a single mission critical installation working in a fully
> transactional topology.
>
> P.S.
> Some of us prefer Scala over Java :) Yet, Apache Ignite can be natively
> used with either Java, Scala or Groovy.

Very true! I am a bit fun of the latter and I have found that it extremely
easy to write in Groovy for Ignite.

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Nikita Ivanov <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: New contributor?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Iker and welcome!

It's nice to have more ppl being involved into the project and bringing in new
ideas, feedback and code!

I'd like to touch on a couple of differences between Ignite and Spark, but I