Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Chris P. McCabe" <ch...@choicehotels.com> on 2001/03/02 00:16:29 UTC

Xalan-J2 outputing extra META tag in HTML

When outputing HTML with Xalan-J2, I am getting the following inserted
right after the <head> element when I output my HTML:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

This line is confusing Netscape and causing it to screw up the page in
random ways, mostly by using the wrong fonts and ignoring CSS
stylesheets.

Why is this being output and is there any way I can stop it from being
output?  This information is already being set through the standard HTTP
mechanisms.  I don't need a META tag in the HTML.

This is new behavior with Xalan-J2.  It does not happen with Xalan-J1.

Thanks,
Chris

Configuring namespaces with SAX parser in Xalan 1.1

Posted by Stan <sy...@oblix.com>.
Hi,

    Xalan C++ 1.1 comes with Xerces C++ 1.4. In
XercesParserLiaison.cpp:595 (CreateSAXParser()),
there is a comment about not configuring namespace support because of
the age of the Xerces SAX
interface. Is this still valid ? I uncommented out the line and the
parser is now not parsing correctly. Is
there something else that I need to do to enable namespaces with the SAX
parser ? Thanks.

-Stan

Re: Xalan-J2 outputing extra META tag in HTML

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
"Chris P. McCabe" wrote:

> When outputing HTML with Xalan-J2, I am getting the following inserted
> right after the <head> element when I output my HTML:
>
> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
>
> This line is confusing Netscape and causing it to screw up the page in
> random ways, mostly by using the wrong fonts and ignoring CSS
> stylesheets.
>
> Why is this being output and is there any way I can stop it from being
> output?  This information is already being set through the standard
> HTTP mechanisms.  I don't need a META tag in the HTML.
>
> This is new behavior with Xalan-J2.  It does not happen with Xalan-J1.

Chris --

I don't think that there's a way to prevent this since this is part of
the XSLT 1.0 standard.  Perhaps we should have a xalan:meta="yes | no"
extension attribute on the xsl:output element.  Does anyone have
thoughts on this?

Gary