Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Vikas Singhal <Vi...@InterraIT.COM> on 2005/03/17 04:47:25 UTC

Volunteer Documentation

Hi List,

I am a technical writer with an experience of more than three years. I want
to contribute to the foundation in terms of documentation.

I am willing to work on projects that either have no documentation or
minimal documentation. Can anyone help me in identifying such projects?

Thanks,
-Vikas

Re: Volunteer Documentation

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
> Vikas Singhal wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I am a technical writer with an experience of more than three years. I want
> > to contribute to the foundation in terms of documentation.
> >
> > I am willing to work on projects that either have no documentation or
> > minimal documentation. Can anyone help me in identifying such projects?

Like showing a red flag to a bull :)

Unlike the rest of these desperados, my request is that, should you
get involved with documenting a project, that you document your
experience and post it publically. Your experiences in a non-coding
role on an Apache project would make very, very interesting reading,
and, assuming things go well, would be a superb advert to bring more
technical writers here.

Hen

Re: Volunteer Documentation

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Vikas Singhal wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am a technical writer with an experience of more than three years. I want
> to contribute to the foundation in terms of documentation.
>
> I am willing to work on projects that either have no documentation or
> minimal documentation. Can anyone help me in identifying such projects?

I think you are going to be deluged with requests :-)

The Geronimo project could use some help as well.

--
Jeremy

Re: Volunteer Documentation

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vikas,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:17:25 +0530, Vikas Singhal <Vi...@interrait.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am a technical writer with an experience of more than three years. I want
> to contribute to the foundation in terms of documentation.

Wow, it would be really nice to see your contribution!

> I am willing to work on projects that either have no documentation or
> minimal documentation. Can anyone help me in identifying such projects?

I'm a PMC of the Apache Directory Project which is an effort to make
the best-of-the breed LDAP server and X.500 experimentation platform.
We're close to the release of version 0.9, our documentation is still
premature.  It would be really nice and cool to see your contribution
and we'll appreciate it. ;)

Here's the URL: http://directory.apache.org/
Please feel free to look around!

Thanks,
Trustin.
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: Volunteer Documentation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 17 mars 05, à 04:47, Vikas Singhal a écrit :

> ...I am willing to work on projects that either have no documentation
> or
> minimal documentation. Can anyone help me in identifying such
> projects?..

A documentation "refactoring" effort is currently going on in the
Cocoon project, see http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/22NewDocuments

-Bertrand

Re: Volunteer Documentation

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:17:25 +0530, Vikas Singhal <Vi...@interrait.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am a technical writer with an experience of more than three years. I want
> to contribute to the foundation in terms of documentation.
>
> I am willing to work on projects that either have no documentation or
> minimal documentation. Can anyone help me in identifying such projects?
>
> Thanks,
> -Vikas

The Agila project is a new workflow engine that could use
documentation (currently none).  See:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/agila.html

I'm working on new documentation for the Excalibur project
(http;//excalibur.apache.org) and we would always love more help.

The process of contributing documentation will be slightly different
for each project.  In general you'll have to check out the site source
documents (generally XML) and then submit patches to the developer
team.  Alternatively, most projects have a wiki site
(http://wiki.apache.org) to which you can contribute directly without
having an Apache account.

--
  jaaron