Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> on 2023/05/26 07:45:46 UTC

[HEADS UP] Upcoming Resolver and Maven releases

Howdy,

Resolver 1.9.11 is shaping:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MRESOLVER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.11

one resolver issue under scrutiny:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-362

Maven 3.9.3 as well:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MNG%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.9.3

As usual, I plan these for next week, so if anyone has anything to say,
speak up!

Thanks

Re: [HEADS UP] Upcoming Resolver and Maven releases

Posted by Delany <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tamas,

I'm still getting locking issues with maven-surefire-plugin:3.1.0
I assumed these were resolved in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-346 which i believe made it
into Maven 3.9.2, so switched back to Maven 3.9.0

What was the previous default value of aether.syncContext.named.time?
30s is not long enough for my build.

Thanks,

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
I don't care about the threads. They are fine with me. I care about the
amount of ceremony that you create that eats into developer time. If you
want to do it for yourself: feel free to do so. It is your time after all.

But you and others then turn around and say "everyone now needs to do what
I am doing and you can no longer work the way that Apache always worked".
And I object to that.

There is value in ceremony for large, gnarly, critical changes that need
discussion. And those should be approached very carefully and slowly. But
having ceremony for a non-controversial, one line change that can be backed
out easily if needed, is ceremony for ceremonies' sake.

-h

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Henning,

Posted by Christoph Läubrich <ma...@laeubi-soft.de>.
Well the problem is that most users won't notice any "votes" or are able
to take action on it (e.g. because they can't run a custom build maven
on their CI easily).

I already have recommended that there should be a SNAPSHOT build on the
download-page with clear indication to the user to help testing these
snapshots, but for some strange ASF policy it is not allowed to promote
snapshots on the download page.

e.g. on Tycho we have quite some success with the strategy we have a
simple instructions here:
https://github.com/eclipse-tycho/tycho/wiki#getting-tycho-snapshots

and a lot of projects using at least an extra nightly-build to get
warned early if things change/break for them so most of the time we get
reports of regressions withing a few days and can often verify fixes
right after the snapshot is deployed as people simply restart their
builds and can report back if it is fixed.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Delany <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

With validation=summary when only EXTERNAL issue are presents we have:

[WARNING]
[WARNING] Plugin [INTERNAL] validation issues were detected in following
plugin(s)
[WARNING]
[WARNING]
[WARNING] For more or less details, use 'maven.plugin.validation' property
with one of the values (case insensitive): [NONE, INLINE, SUMMARY, VERBOSE]

What do you think about the SUMMARY display also EXTERNAL and missing BRIEF
only INTERNAL?

pt., 26 maj 2023 o 23:03 Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> napisał(a):

> Draft:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/424

> On Fri, May 26, 2023, 22:23 Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > good call, created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7797
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 10:09 PM Henning Schmiedehausen <
> > henning@schmiedehausen.org> wrote:
> >
> >> maven 3.9.2:
> >>
> >> mvn -DskipTests -Dmaven.plugin.validation=BRIEF -pl :jdbi3-core clean
> >> install
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> current 3.9.3-SNAPSHOT:
> >>
> >> mvn -DskipTests -Dmaven.plugin.validation=BRIEF -pl :jdbi3-core clean
> >> install
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> *[WARNING] Invalid value specified for property maven.plugin.validation:
> >> 'BRIEF'. Supported values are (case insensitive): [NONE, INLINE,
> SUMMARY,
> >> VERBOSE]*
> >>
> >> You shipped "BRIEF" in 3.9.2, removing it now breaks scripts that added
> >> this to the command line or the pom.
> >>
> >> I suggest mapping "BRIEF" to "SUMMARY".
> >>
> >> -h

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MRESOLVER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.9.11

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MNG%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.9.3

> say,

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: [HEADS UP] Upcoming Resolver and Maven releases

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Draft:

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,