Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthias Schäfer <sc...@cymation.de> on 2004/01/22 12:02:21 UTC

Font-Problem depending on Java-VM

Hello,

printing Text with " or ' with IBM 1.3.0 works fine. Trying SUN 1.3.1_08
or SUN 1.3.1_09 I get squares instead of the expected Characters. With
SUN 1.4.2_01 it works only with fop-0.20.5rc2, but not with fop-bidi
(from Oleg Tkachenko) because of "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
sun/awt/font/Bidi".
Unfortunately I need the Bidi-Version !
Plattform is W2K.

Hope someone could give me a hint.

Matthias

Re: Font-Problem depending on Java-VM

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Matthias Schäfer wrote:
> The result of converting a RTF-File from MS-Word with RTF2FO
> (rtf2fo.com) is a FO-File in "UTF-8".

Word typically uses "smart quotes", or typographical quotes, if
you type an apostrophe or a double quote on the keyboard. They
correspond to the following Unicode codepoints
U+201E comma quotation mark, low double
U+201C comma quotation mark, double turned
U+201A comma quotation mark, low single
U+2019 comma quotation mark, single

> Changing Times to Helvetica doesn't change anything.
Well, the problem is that neither the built-in Times nor
Courier font has glyphs for this

> So the problem seems to be the special Chars of Unicode-Table 20. But is
> it FOP or is it the Java-VM ?
Are you sure it's not an encoding problem? Files get
mangled in transfer, occasionally.

> I guess I have to use the JDK-Class in java.text.Bidi instead of
> sun/awt/font/Bidi used with older JDK's ?
Probably. Ask Oleg for details. He seems to be off list.

J.Pietschmann

Re: New Fop

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra wrote:
> Does XSL-FO supports unicode entity and other languages.

This depends on what you mean.
Start here
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/hyphenation.html

J.Pietschmann

Re: New Fop

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am relatively new to XSL-FO.
>
> Does XSL-FO supports unicode entity and other languages.

Yes XSL-FO supports Unicode entity references and has many features for
supporting non-western lanagues via writing mode and reference
orientation attributes. However, these attributes are not implemented in
FOP so support for eastern languages is limited.

Chris

New Fop

Posted by "Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra" <ga...@integra-india.com>.
Dear All,

I am relatively new to XSL-FO.

Does XSL-FO supports unicode entity and other languages.

Help me please!

thanks,
Ganesh.

Re: Font-Problem depending on Java-VM

Posted by Matthias Schäfer <sc...@cymation.de>.
Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Matthias Schäfer wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> printing Text with " or ' with IBM 1.3.0 works fine. Trying SUN
>> 1.3.1_08 or SUN 1.3.1_09 I get squares instead of the expected
>> Characters.
>

> This sounds like an encoding issue. What is the encoding of your FO file
> (or XML and XSL files) Also, what font are you using?

The result of converting a RTF-File from MS-Word with RTF2FO
(rtf2fo.com) is a FO-File in "UTF-8". Changing Times to Helvetica
doesn't change anything.

Saving the FO-File with XML-Spy as "ISO-8859-1" recognize the Characters
  0x201E, 0x201C, 0x201A, 0x2019 as not representable. Replacing it with
"_" shows "_" as expected. Changing this Character in XML-Spy with "
(0x0034) and ' (0x0039) shows this Characters.
But there is one vital Difference. The Chars I entered are aligned at
the top. The Original a aligned one at bottom, one at top.

In my next Test I entered the Chars " (0x0034) and ' (0x0039) again in a
Textfile with Notepad. After saving this File with Word as RTF I convert
  it with RTF2FO. Now I get the Characters as I typed in.

Posted by Matthias Schäfer <sc...@cymation.de>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.