Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/02/19 21:33:24 UTC

[RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

In conjunction with what I have been doing at work, I have been working
on an Avalon based variation of the GUI app.  After a while of working
on the infrastructure (which is pretty much done), I have something that
is actually quite nice.

There is a rumor going around that makes me believe that this variation
will not see the light of day--which is a real bummer because it is much
nicer to work with than what I was given.

The infrastructure is actually pretty simple.  All screens and dialog
boxes are addressed via URIs--along with the "browser" elements.  The
"browser" elements are resources that are viewed by external programs.
(At least until I write a more robust HTML browser in Java... but I'm
not so inclined for the time being).

Anyhoo, it is built on Fortress, and it presents another type of app
that we would want to keep the use cases in mind.

Is this something that we might want in Sandbox?  I would have to
clean it up, but it makes a pretty good foundation for any complex
GUI app.  If not, I might try to invent a home for it.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
I would be interested in having a look as well...I would be especially
interested in some possible integration between
* "Avalon Framework for GUI apps" - whatever that is ;-)
* JellySwing
* JellySWT

I have some plans for doing some work in this area, just haven't had the
time yet...

Rgds,
Neeme

Berin Loritsch ::

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> In conjunction with what I have been doing at work, I have been working
> on an Avalon based variation of the GUI app.  After a while of working
> on the infrastructure (which is pretty much done), I have something that
> is actually quite nice.

cool!

> Is this something that we might want in Sandbox?  I would have to
> clean it up, but it makes a pretty good foundation for any complex
> GUI app.  If not, I might try to invent a home for it.

I'd like to look at it, definately, but I don't think it should be
hosted at avalon. You know, keep focus, prevent feature creep, that sort
of thing. SF's got space :D

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Vincent Tence wrote:
> I'm very much interested as well. I believe it could make my life easier -
> I'm currently working on a Swing app.
>
> When do you think it'll be available?

I'll be placing it in SourceForge RSN.  I am waiting for a new account
to be made so I can merge in my other stuff--and include this.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks: Jesktop!

I believe that the two are addressing two different problems.

Jesktop being a desktop replacement (a GUI window manager
if you will), and my framework for actually writing the
application.  Not necessarily a multidoc format with subwindows,
but your average SWing based app.

RE: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Folks: Jesktop!

- Paul

 --- Vincent_Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com> wrote: > I'm very much interested as well. I

RE: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Vincent Tence <Vi...@gemplus.com>.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Robert McIntosh <ro...@bull-enterprises.com>.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Robert McIntosh wrote:
> I'm interested in this, but I'm not sure what _exactly_ you mean :-) Do
> you mean to say that each 'screen' is a service that are accessed from
> Fortress?

Yep.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Robert McIntosh <ro...@bull-enterprises.com>.

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:33, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Is this something that we might want in Sandbox?  I would have to
> clean it up, but it makes a pretty good foundation for any complex
> GUI app.  If not, I might try to invent a home for it.

I would like to see it - maybe not sandbox it but definetly put it somewhere.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote, On 20/02/2003 14.32:
> Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> In conjunction with what I have been doing at work, I have been working
>>> on an Avalon based variation of the GUI app.  After a while of working
>>> on the infrastructure (which is pretty much done), I have something that
>>> is actually quite nice.

There are other two Avalon GUI efforts I know of: Jesktop (Paul Hammant
) and Monarch (me). Paul and I had decided to try and "merge", but got
sidetracked by life ;-)

Anyway, it seems to me that these three programs have three different
perspectives, although overlapping: Jesktop is more about a GUI
multi-application space, Monarch about an application space (like
Eclipse), and this more about lower lever stuff.

I tend to think that the best thing would be to make a "third" project
at Sourceforge, and link all three effort in the Avalon site. Then try
to see the synergies and merge points, and focalize on the respective
strengths. That means that Monarch apps should work well in Jesktop, and
these apps work well in Monarch. All three can also run standalone.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> In conjunction with what I have been doing at work, I have been working
>> on an Avalon based variation of the GUI app.  After a while of working
>> on the infrastructure (which is pretty much done), I have something that
>> is actually quite nice.
>>
>> There is a rumor going around that makes me believe that this variation
>> will not see the light of day--which is a real bummer because it is much
>> nicer to work with than what I was given.
>>
>> The infrastructure is actually pretty simple.  All screens and dialog
>> boxes are addressed via URIs--along with the "browser" elements.  The
>> "browser" elements are resources that are viewed by external programs.
>> (At least until I write a more robust HTML browser in Java... but I'm
>> not so inclined for the time being).
>

> Is it possible to render a Swing GUI with it or just HTML?

THe "Browser" is any old resource--word documents, HTML, PDF docs,
compiled help, etc.

There is another GUI element called a "Screen".  That is for your Swing
GUI.  Everything is done as a JPanel--that way you can embed the
"Screen" in a larger context, or display it in the main area, or display
it as a dialog box.  All with the same class.  It's the way Swing was
meant to be ;P

Re: [RT] Avalon and GUI Apps

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> In conjunction with what I have been doing at work, I have been working
> on an Avalon based variation of the GUI app.  After a while of working
> on the infrastructure (which is pretty much done), I have something that
> is actually quite nice.
>
> There is a rumor going around that makes me believe that this variation
> will not see the light of day--which is a real bummer because it is much
> nicer to work with than what I was given.
>
> The infrastructure is actually pretty simple.  All screens and dialog
> boxes are addressed via URIs--along with the "browser" elements.  The
> "browser" elements are resources that are viewed by external programs.
> (At least until I write a more robust HTML browser in Java... but I'm
> not so inclined for the time being).

Is it possible to render a Swing GUI with it or just HTML?

Ulrich