Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/22 14:21:22 UTC

What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if we couldn't move all the kerberos code into a
specific subproject, at teh same level as apacheds, daemon, shared ?

Kerberos is really not deeply tight to the apacheds project, so it
could make sense to have it moved in its own place.

If we do that, then it will raise the configuration question
immediatly : configuration is loaded when the server is started, and
we may have some kind of dependencies between apacheds and a separate
kerberos project (and it's probably why kerberos lie down withing
apacheds project). But I don't think this is impossible to deal with
this point.

wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yes I remember this conversation we had a while back and this was a good
idea.  Perhaps it
still is.  The problem I have is with the proposal to create a new
subproject with deliverables
in it.  That means more exposure to users who are going to be needing help
etc.

This is a good thing but I don't want to deal with that until we have at
least one or two more
people behind the Kerberos code base.  Perhaps you can help Emmanuel get up
to speed
on the Kerberos code so we can grow more community around it.  Then if you
want to move it
to Tsec or even have it as another subproject than that's cool.

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would add something to what Alex just said : we didn't anted to make
> Kerberos a separate Apache project, but a separate sub-project, from
> Maven point of view. This was just about an internal refactoring.
>
> Kerberos and Apache Directory Project are tighly coupled right now,
> and will remain coupled for a while.

They are only coupled from a build point-of-view.  The entire
directory store is behind an interface.  For example, for tests there
is a HashMap-based store implementation.

Enrique

Re: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would add something to what Alex just said : we didn't anted to make
> Kerberos a separate Apache project, but a separate sub-project, from
> Maven point of view. This was just about an internal refactoring.
>
> Kerberos and Apache Directory Project are tighly coupled right now,
> and will remain coupled for a while.

They are only coupled from a build point-of-view.  The entire
directory store is behind an interface.  For example, for tests there
is a HashMap-based store implementation.

A separate sub-project could help attract committers.  A common
complaint I hear from people is that apacheds sub-sub-projects pull in
the dependencies and build overhead of the whole apacheds server.

Enrique

Re: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
On 10/10/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would add something to what Alex just said : we didn't anted to make
> Kerberos a separate Apache project, but a separate sub-project, from
> Maven point of view. This was just about an internal refactoring.
>
> Kerberos and Apache Directory Project are tighly coupled right now,
> and will remain coupled for a while.

   So, is it possible to get a workable bundle of kerberos client
related class without other part of Directory? I am now studying the
feasible ways to implement harmony's jgss provider.

> Last, not least, I see no way for Harmony to use any of the Apache
> Directory project due to the very restrictive condition you have to
> fulfill to become a contributor of this project (ie, not having read
> any line of SUN java source). We can't guarantee that the ADS
> developpers haven't been tainted by SUN code.

   The story is here that Harmony really has some other constraint but
it does not mean contributor cannot read any line of sun's code. Due
to its modulity, if one intends to contribute code in security module,
for example, he/she cannot see that part of sun's code.

  Furthermore, we intend to include part of kerberos code of a binary
distribution as an external link and not to put the source code into
harmony's repository. It is acceptable providing that the external
dependency is under APL if I have not missed something.

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all:
     I happend to find this thread. Is it a little outdate? :)
     Harmony project is now implementing a JGSS provider which
contains a lot of work with kerberos. We intend to borrow kerberos
related code from apache Directory and it will be great if kerberos is
a seperate project. And I also acknowledge the concern to maintain a

Fwd: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.