Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2001/07/27 17:04:13 UTC

ESQL Changes (C2.1 only!)

Team,

I have commited to CVS what I have announced a couple of days
back. Although no one objected then, this might be controversial so I
checked in only to C2.1.

Changed API
    * <esql:column> replaced by generic <esql:param name="column"> like
      all other taglibs do.

New tags: (name says it all)
    * get-object
    * get-metadata
    * get-resultset
    * get-column-type (as int)

Changed Behaviour
    * get-columns now tries to print out complex types as well by
      looking at jdbc type & if object is instance of List or Set.
      Since it is non trivial to retrieve sensible names for parts of
      complex types, this introduces <sql-row>, <sql-row-item>,
      <sql-list>, <sql-list-item>, <sql-set>, <sql-set-item>.

    * <esql:column> accepted only numbers and strings
      now <esql:param name="column"> accepts expressions as well.
      Example:

	<esql:get-object>
	   <esql:param name="column"><xsp:expr>i+1</xsp:expr></esql:param>
	<esql:get-object>

    * <esql:row-results> & friends now enclose everything in
      <xsp:content>. If superfluous, these tags just disapear when the
      xsp taglib is applied. OTOH they make behaviour for those new to
      esql a bit friendlier.
      Example:

         <esql:results>
            <esql:row-results>
	       count=<esql:get-int column="1"/>
            </esql:row-results>
         </esql:results>

     This would have resulted in an compile error. Now this compiles
     and outputs "j=42".

For more details see my previous mails on this.

If this survives for the next week without getting me killed by angry
user / developers I'll put it into C2 and C1 as well ;-)

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: ESQL Changes (C2.1 only!)

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 27.Jul.2001 -- 05:04 PM, Christian Haul wrote:
>     * get-columns now tries to print out complex types as well by
>       looking at jdbc type & if object is instance of List or Set.
>       Since it is non trivial to retrieve sensible names for parts of
>       complex types, this introduces <sql-row>, <sql-row-item>,
>       <sql-list>, <sql-list-item>, <sql-set>, <sql-set-item>.

Should have mentioned that the above currently works for C2
only. Maybe someone knowledgable with C1 could make it work, too? (I
might just copy the element generating code but testing would be
difficult for me)

	Chris.