Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/08 10:50:46 UTC

RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat

What exaclty is a RewriteRule and how is it used with Standalone Tomcat? Do
I define my RewriteRules somewhere in server.xml or web.xml?

A couple of months ago, Noel told me how I could get Tomcat to show the
content of the default welcome page without redirecting (http 302) to the
file, using a RewriteRule.  I took notes from that email and set it aside
only to realize when I returned ... that I have no idea what to do with this
info!  And of course no info is available (that I could find) online or in
the Tomcat manual explaining this.  :(

Could someone please explain how this RewriteRule would be integrated into
Tomcat:

  RewriteRule  ^/$  /index.html   [L]

Thanks!
Neal

RE: RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Noel,

Yes that was you that gave me this solution.  But know ... it was actually
in the context of finding a way around this very problem which I brought up
a while back.  I guess the detail that I was using tomcat standalone was not
understood. I appreciate the solution but yeah ... now that I'm finally
getting around to putting it into action, I realized the problem.

Neal

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Has the patch to prevent the 302 redirect of the default welcome file been
included in Tomcat 5?  I looked at the possiblity of applying the patch to
Tomcat 4 but I have to admit I am not comfortable building Tomcat on a Linux
server as this would require me to do.  So I am *hoping* that this is a
feature in Tomcat 5 (please please please!!!)?!?!?!  :)