Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2007/08/06 11:05:17 UTC

Database connection problems during upgrade

I am in the process of upgrading to Cocoon 2.1.8 on the server.
At present , I am testing with Jetty (port 8888).  I have copied all the
database connection settings to the new cocoon.xconf file, from my
local (test) PC (where everything works fine) e.g. all the XML
snippets that take the form:

    <jdbc name="db_user">
      <pool-controller min="5" max="20"/>
      <auto-commit>true</auto-commit>
      <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test</dburl>
      <user>test</user>
      <password>test</password>
     </jdbc>

The Jetty container was restarted, but it seems the database cannot
be connected.  The error.log file shows these messages:

INFO  (2007-08-06) 09:22.14:029 [sitemap.transformer.sql] (/test/do-login) PoolThread-3/SQLTransformer: Unable to get connection; waiting 5000ms to try again.
WARN  (2007-08-06) 09:22.19:031 [core.manager] (/test/do-login) PoolThread-3/ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource: Could not return Connection

What are the possible causes of / solutions to  this problem?

Thanks
Derek

PS The same database connections work OK under the older Cocoon
version running under Tomcat, on the same server.

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions

CallCentre@csir.co.za.

and is believed to be clean.

Re: Database connection problems during upgrade

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Actually, both were right.

The only problem I had was trying to find a suitable mysql-***.jar
version.  Despite the fact that both the server and my PC are running
Java 1.4 and Cocoon 1.8 :-
  mysql-connector-java-5.1.2-beta-bin.jar works on the server, and
  mysql-connector-java-3.1.7-bin.jar works on my PC
but not the other way around.

Sigh.  But thanks again for the speedy help!

>>> "Johannes Textor" <jc...@gmx.de> 2007/08/06 12:42 PM >>>

> > this is probably because you have not included com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
> > (not sure if this is the exact class name) in web.xml.
>
> Or maybe he didn't copy the actual driver class.
>
> For example, mine is:
> WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.0.6-bin.jar
>

> Tobia

That might also be, although I'd think this would throw a "class not found" exception instead of a "no suitable driver" one (just guessing though)

Posted by Johannes Textor <jc...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Tobia Conforto <to...@linux.it>.

Posted by Johannes Textor <jc...@gmx.de>.
Hi Derek,

this is probably because you have not included com.mysql.jdbc.Driver (not sure if this is the exact class name) in web.xml.

Cheers,
Johannes

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:05:17 +0200