Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Yamins <dy...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/15 05:22:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Permission Issues in python cgi scripts on Apache 2.2 on OSX Leopard

I'm a total Apache newbie and I'm having two permissions-related related
problems.

I've set up local virtual host set up to serve a local directory that a
project of mine is in.  In this directory, I have some python .cgi
scripts.   In several places, scripts that work fine when not run as .cgi
scripts (but just as regular .py scripts in the Python interpreter) break
when run by apache because of what look like permissions related issues.
Specifically:

1) When a script attempts to make a directory, it fails to do so unless
writing in enabled for all users, not just owner or group.   Apache issues a
permission denied error.

and,

2) Some os stat modification operations , like the touch function (called
os.utime), fail -- with the error message being that "Operation is Not
Permitted".    I've put permissions to 777 for all the involved files but to
no avail.   (Am I right in thinking that this problem is also a permissions
issue?  I know the first one is, because the error message says so
explicitly.)

My computer is running off-line and this only ever going to be a local
development task.   So, my basic question is:  is there some way, for the
directories that I'm serving, to turn of all the permissions protections
whatsoever?  E.g. to run Apache in a mode as if the process running the
scripts had all root privileges?  And so that I can run scripts via cgi
without having to worry about problems like the "Operation Not Permitted
Errror"?

I tried to do things like put the following directives:

<Directory "my/local/virtual/host/directory">
    Options All Indexes MultiViews ExecCGI
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

in my configuration files (e.g the virtual host conf fil, the httpd.conf
file, etc...), but this failed to achieve my goal.

Thanks (and I apologize if my description of the problem wasn't detailed
enough)!
Dan