Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Manoj VM <ma...@fynarfin.io> on 2022/11/13 21:31:05 UTC

[FINERACT] [PROPOSAL] Minor version release

Hi Everyone,
... this is a continuation of the discussionAleksandar Vidakovic  started
some time before related to minor version releases

1. As we are constantly improving the Fineract with technology and
functionality, each version is released with updates that take time
to upgrade for existing users who are already live with a previous version.
While they want to eventually move to the latest version they also want to
do it at their will. ie, it is difficult for a user to upgrade to the
latest version of Fineract just for minor fixes that are needed for their
production to be stable.
Hence it is a request from many Fineract users to have minor(patch) version
releases on top of a Fineract release.
For example, someone who is live on production with version 1.7.0 does
not wish to upgrade to 1.8.0 or later just for a hotfix that is needed on
version 1.7.0. It requires additional testing and effort and it is not
feasible at the essence of time. Hence the hotfix should be provided as a
patch ( minor) version release 1.7.1.

2. While we haven't done that before, it is not so difficult to have a
minor version release. I was discussing this with Aleks and we have come up
with the following approach to do the minor version release. The process
can be as given below:
     1. Minor version releases are not so different from normal releases,
just that the waiting period for changes discussion is less because it is a
minor change on top of an already approved release. The discussion on the
PR happens on GitHub.
    2. Voting is needed for the release.
    3. Create a release branch from the previous version, and ask patch
developers to send PRs to this branch. For example,  for minor version
release 1.8.1, the release branch 1.8.1 is created from the 1.8.0 tag
    4. Once the minor version is released, the Release Manager has to merge
this branch to develop to keep the develop branch updated, this can be done
by creating a merge branch.
    5. Sign and upload the minor version release to the Fineract website
/SVN
    6. Clean up by removing the branches created.

Dear Members of the community, kindly vote for this process, and please
provide your valuable feedback and suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manoj

Re: [FINERACT] [PROPOSAL] Minor version release

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Manoj - great explanation.
+1 (binding) on the concept.

Once we have this discussed, we should document this clearly on Confluence
pages

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Release+Management

Which, I think have not been updated in a long while and are a bit out of
date.
& since this is highly related to this thread:  any takers on that task?

Also, for clarity, the project is still responsible for the patch release,
so any voting has to follow our normal thing there.
Step #5, found here ==>
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/How+to+Release+Apache+Fineract
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/How+to+Release+Apache+Fineract>

But again Manoj - great initiative and thank you.

jdailey

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org>.
Hi Manoj,