Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by DM <do...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/08/01 21:19:27 UTC

[users@httpd] configuring a balancer in httpd.conf

Hi,

I'm trying to get Apache to forward all it's requests to either one of two Tomcat processes.
I can get Apache to forward the requests to a single Tomcat using the following settings in httpd.conf:

###################
ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass / http://erie:8080/
ProxyPassReverse / http://erie:8080/
###################

I attempted to get the load-balancing working by replacing the above with the following:

###################
ProxyRequests Off

ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster stickysession=jsessionid nofailover=On
ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mycluster

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
        BalancerMember http://erie:8080
        BalancerMember http://titan192:8080

        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
</Proxy>
###################

But I get a "403 Forbidden" error indicating that I don't have permission to access the resource on the server.

Many thanks in advance,
Don

Re: [users@httpd] configuring a balancer in httpd.conf

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, DM <do...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> ###################
> ProxyRequests Off
>
> <Proxy *>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> ProxyPass / http://erie:8080/
> ProxyPassReverse / http://erie:8080/
> ###################
>

> I attempted to get the load-balancing working by replacing the above with the following:
>
> ###################
> ProxyRequests Off
>
> ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster stickysession=jsessionid nofailover=On
> ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mycluster
>
> <Proxy balancer://mycluster>
>         BalancerMember http://erie:8080
>         BalancerMember http://titan192:8080
>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
> </Proxy>

As always with 403 errors, look in your error log for an explaination.
If the message is along the lines of "Client denied by server
configuration", try adding in the <Proxy *> stanza from your first
example.

--
noodl