Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/04/25 20:25:18 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 10172 - in xml/forrest/branches/copyless: . src/core/fresh-site/src/documentation src/documentation

Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:
>
>> The fact is that somehow I was still getting errors in the logs about
>> a missing DTD, so I got irritated and took them away. Ok, so this is
>> not a technical reason, but the more I think of it, the more it seems
>> to make sense. Do property files have a DTD? Do they need one?
>
> I think that you should always validate the input that comes from the user.

Too generic. We don't validate input from forrest.properties and still
don't have problems. As long as Forrest does not fail, it's not
necessary to validate on the tag types.

>> For example, let's say that somebody makes a skin that needs some
>> extra customization values... where do they put them? Without a DTD,
>> they can easily add them to the skinconf file.
>
> Even If I think that this is not our user requirement you can still
> doing that with your skinconf.xsl stuff.
>
> A user that need some extra values can added on a skinconf.xsl. If you
> check the results with http://localhost:8888/skinconf.xml you will see
> all the values.

I know, I wrote it.

In any case it's ridiculous that a user has to add values that go in
skinconf to a stylesheet just because we want to validate a file without
aded value.

>> What are the reasons we should keep the DTD, given the above point and
>> the problems we have been having till now (not no mention having to
>> make users update the DTD at every change)?
>
> because it allow to validate offline and to be used with old xml editors.

No validation works with any xml editor, even ones that don't use
*resolvers*. Remember in fact not many validate the files because the
"old" xml editors don't have a resolver.

It seems to be clear now that a simple DTD like the one I proposed
included in the xml is the best solution.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: svn commit: rev 10172 - in xml/forrest/branches/copyless: . src/core/fresh-site/src/documentation src/documentation

Posted by "Brian S. Hayes" <br...@comcast.net>.
> In any case it's ridiculous that a user has to add values that go in
> skinconf to a stylesheet just because we want to validate a file without
> aded value.

IMHO, there's two types of users: the skin builders and the skin end-users.
As a skin builder, I'm willing to make necessary changes to have validation
so my skin end-users don't mess up.

However, I'm new to Forrest and may not understand the situation completely.

Best Regards,
Brian