Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2016/09/02 08:33:39 UTC

moving from 120 chars limit to 150 or even 180?

Monitors are big enough these days.

120 chars is really a bit limiting sometimes.

wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: moving from 120 chars limit to 150 or even 180?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
The reason why I came up with this is that many code lines are wildly broken at seemingly random locations.
That makes the code harder to read.

I'll show you what I mean with

good:
if (some.getX().statementA() && some.getY().statementB()) {..

good:

if (some.getX().statementA()

    && some.getY().statementB()) {..

bad:
if (some.getX("bla" +
    "blub").statementA(
    13) && some.getY
    ("oh").statementB(
    "gosh")) {..

Of course in practice our commands are longer, but similar 'unattractive' to read ;)
Most times forced by the line length limit.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Albert Lee <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Albert Lee.

Re: moving from 120 chars limit to 150 or even 180?

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 2016-09-02 10:33 (+0200), Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> wrote:
> Monitors are big enough these days.
>
> 120 chars is really a bit limiting sometimes.
>
> wdyt?

I am +-0 for that, 120 chars do not look that bad to me.

Regards.

Re: moving from 120 chars limit to 150 or even 180?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 whatever one you pick

Romain Manni-Bucau