Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ben Nguyen <be...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/21 12:38:02 UTC

[GSoC][Commons][STATISTICS][Regression][Matrix] Separate module for StatisticsMatrix (simple extension of EJML's SimpleBase) in commons statistics?

Hello,

Mr. Gilles Sadowski suggested to me on Slack that StatisticsMatrix and future extensions of EJML’s code should go into it’s own component. So based on my understanding; should there be a general matrix module to use inside of commons statistics which uses the EJML? Does anyone think another statistics component (besides regression) will need matrices and it’s operations?

Thank you for your input,
Cheers,
-Ben Nguyen

Re: [All] Actively seek contributor? [Was: External dependency for linear algebra?]

Posted by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: [All][STATISTICS] External dependency for linear algebra?

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le sam. 22 juin 2019 à 20:22, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Have we tried asking if he wants to be a part of commons?

AFAIK, no.

> Seems like that library could be a good fit

+1

> and it might help him out in the long run.

That I'm not sure. ;-)

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
Have we tried asking if he wants to be a part of commons? Seems like that library could be a good fit and it might help him out in the long run.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le sam. 22 juin 2019 à 16:28, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gary.
>
> Le sam. 22 juin 2019 à 16:04, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > My two bits:
> > - What is the license of the third party artifact under consideration?
>
> https://github.com/lessthanoptimal/ejml
>
> states (bottom of page) ASL v2.0
>
> > - Shading introduces more problems than it is worth and forces bloating.
>
> I've no experience with shading but my assumption was that only
> the code being actually used was copied (?).
>
> > Use a normal Maven dependency

Also, IIUC, it contradicts the up-to-now (informal) policy of Commons to
generally not even adopt interfaces defined in other Commons components:
Case that comes to mind is the not-so-old discussion about random Strings
in "Commons Text" where that component defined its own interface rather
than depend on the "client-api" module of  "Commons RNG".

Gilles

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
My two bits:

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Posted by Ben Nguyen <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
The CM regression module uses LU & QR decomposition and basic matrix operations like multiply, add/subtract, transpose, inverse, as well as functionalities like getting a submatrix, getting dimensions etc…. All of which EJML provides as far as I’ve looked. But I also expect there to be perhaps large differences in the port due to Streams….

Cheers,
-Ben

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.