Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org> on 2002/02/14 20:59:02 UTC

mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Does mod_gzip suck or what?  Some of you claim to use it.  Now is the
time to confess.  How do you get it to work?

I installed it on a Slackware machine using the source code and apxs.
It loads but segfaults on every request.  I installed it on a Debian
machine via apt-get and it segfaults at startup.

Seems like a nasty hack.

-jwb

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
On Friday 15 February 2002 00:18, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> Okay, I'll take a run at compiling everything statically.  I've had no
> end of problems though with Expat, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Zlib libraries
> being linked in multiple times by multiple modules or even Apache
> itself.
>
> Especially expat.  Grr.

The latest apache should normally use the system's expat lib instead of its
own (conflicting) version, unless there's a module that requires it
explicitly. That helped a *lot* for the conflicts with XML::Parser and
friends.

Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
"Oh no not again !" said the bowl of petunias

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Stephen Clouse <st...@theiqgroup.com>.

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.

Posted by Stephen Clouse <st...@theiqgroup.com>.

RE: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Rob Bloodgood <ro...@empire2.com>.
> > Ditto here. Working quite well on fairly high volume servers.
>
> Hrmm how interesting.  My Apache is built with PHP (with DOM, MySQL, and
> Postgres) and mod_perl.  With mod_gzip enabled it simply segfaults on
> every single request.

have you looked at the work at http://www.apachetoolbox.com/ ?
This guy has an automated system for choosing what modules/packages to
install, then download/extract/patch/compile/install automatically.

He seems to be able to get ssl, php, gzip, and mod_perl all working at the
same time.

That might not be what you need, but if perhaps you were to review how he
handled gzip/php/etc, you might see what obscure flag or switch might be
affecting things poorly.

Good luck!

L8r,
Rob

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Disclaimer qw/:standard/;

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.

Posted by Jay Thorne <ja...@grue.userfriendly.org>.

--
Jay "yohimbe" Thorne  yohimbe@userfriendly.org
Mgr Sys & Tech, Userfriendly.org

RE: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
:: > Does mod_gzip suck or what?  Some of you claim to use it.
:: Now is the
:: > time to confess.  How do you get it to work?
::
:: Compile it.  Install it.  Works brilliantly.

Hell I even got it to work under Win32.  Agree with the other replies,
it works brilliantly.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Stephen Clouse <st...@theiqgroup.com>.

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@davehodgkinson.com>.
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org> writes:

> Does mod_gzip suck or what?  Some of you claim to use it.  Now is the
> time to confess.  How do you get it to work?

I use the Apache::Gzip chain module thingy on the backend
Apache. That's the only one that cares about text, right?

--
Dave Hodgkinson, Wizard for Hire         http://www.davehodgkinson.com
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Ryan Parr <ry...@cableone.net>.
Wow, I'm having a hell of a time with it too. I compiled it directly into
Apache. I don't get segfaults but I don't get compression either. After all
the time I've put into it (it's late, and now I'm drunk) I could compose a
lovely rant on this, but I'll keep that to myself.

No love. I get no love from mod_gzip.

-- Ryan

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@egurucool.com>.

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
On Thursday 14 February 2002 20:59, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> Does mod_gzip suck or what?  Some of you claim to use it.  Now is the
> time to confess.  How do you get it to work?
>
> I installed it on a Slackware machine using the source code and apxs.
> It loads but segfaults on every request.  I installed it on a Debian
> machine via apt-get and it segfaults at startup.

I got it to work once, but I confirm this was painful. I don't use it anymore
though so I can't remember the magic that it took to get it to run. As an
alternative (probably incomplete) solution, you might want to look inside one
of the templating/publishing modules out there that support gzip output
natively. I know AxKit does, and iirc TT does too (but I'm not sure).

Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
The human brain is a wonderful thing, but it is also a result of
three billion years' worth of "good enough" implementation. As a
result, it is a giant hack with more than a few quirks.

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>.
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Eric Cholet wrote:

> --On vendredi 15 fИvrier 2002 17:19 +0300 Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>
> wrote:
>
> > You can try
> > ftp://ftp.lexa.ru/pub/apache-rus/contrib/mod_deflate-1.0.11.tar.gz
> >
> > It compresses content on the fly without any temporary files
> > as mod_gzip does. It has workarounds with buggy browsers.
> > mod_gzip has not.
> >
> > Drawbacks:
> > It patches Apache and can not be loaded as DSO.
> > It compresses static files every time. mod_gzip can use cached
> > compressed file.
> > It has Russian documentation only but you can ask me if you
> > have any problems.
>
> Yeah, can you translate that little paragraph about FreeBSD?

There are 3 times when FreeBSD is referred:

----
in /.configure:
--with-idle-check - check CPU idle state. This parameter is available
on FreeBSD 3.x and above only.

----
DeflateIdleCheck:

Syntax: DeflateIdleCheck number
Default: DeflateIdleCheck 1
Context: server config

Set interval for CPU idle checking in seconds.
This directive is available on FreeBSD 3.x and above only if you
set --with-idle-check configure parameter.

----
DeflateMinIdle:

Syntax: DeflateMinIdle 0 .. 100
Default: DeflateMinIdle 0
Context: server config

Set minumal CPU idle level in percent when compressing is enabled.
This directive is available on FreeBSD 3.x and above only if you
set --with-idle-check configure parameter.
----

Small comment. We are using idle checking on www.rambler.ru but it seems
it is not usefull on small files (<50K) and modern CPU.

Igor Sysoev

Re: mod_perl, mod_gzip, incredible suckage

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.
--On vendredi 15 février 2002 17:19 +0300 Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>

Posted by Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>.

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.