Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Schuerig <mi...@schuerig.de> on 2005/09/24 16:19:39 UTC

Branching & merging an external repository

I'm working on a project where I rely on a third party framework. My own
project as well as the framework are kept in their own subversion
repositories. I have linked in the framework as an external and am
tracking its HEAD version.

As a complication I have changed the framework in several places.
Updates are merged in or result in conflicts, that's fine as it is.
What I'm scratching my head about is how to keep my changes under
version control. I haven't found a way to do this, but my subversion
skills are only somewhat basic. As I'm routinely updating the framework
from its repository, I'm looking for an easy, automatic procedure.

I've searched the mailing list archive and this question appears to have
come up before, However the best advice I found was to switch to svk,
which is not what I want to do.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                            You can twist perceptions
mailto:michael@schuerig.de                        Reality won't budge

Re: Branching & merging an external repository

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Sun, 2005-09-25 at 01:10 +0200, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Sunday 25 September 2005 00:58, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
<snip />
> > Have you already looked at Vendor Branches?
> >
> > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s05.html
> >
> > It's not automatic, but I'm not sure if anything automatic exists for
> > what you want to do.
>
> Yes, using vendor branches was my first idea. But using them daily means
> that I'd either have to go through an error-prone manual process or
> that I'd have to spend more time than I currently have on automating
> it. At any rate, when using a vendor branch, I'm essentially ignoring
> that the external framework is under subversion control itself. It
> feels wrong not to take advantage of this.

The other side of the argument is that "stable" projects wouldn't want
to be building against the bleeding edge HEAD revisions.  Only stable
releases from the framework developers.

You could always track HEAD *AND* do a vendor branch against the stable
releases of the framework.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://www.nesser.org

Re: Branching & merging an external repository

Posted by Michael Schuerig <mi...@schuerig.de>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.