Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Simon Tack <Si...@raytheon.com> on 2016/10/27 12:43:21 UTC

Error instantiating template on cluster: The specified observer identifier already exists.

Hello,

I am running into a problem moving some fairly large flows (40-50 processors) from a NiFi 1.0.0 standalone instance to an 3-node NiFi 1.0.0 cluster.  I saved the flows in the standalone instance as templates and uploaded the templates to the cluster instance.  When I instantiate the template on the cluster instance, I get an error dialog box that says, The specified observer identifier already exists.  After a delay of about 30 seconds, the flow I was trying to instantiate appears, but it has no connections.  Here is the only thing I could find in the logs (this was in the nifi-user log, ip-addresses removed):

2016-10-26 07:32:09,589 INFO [NiFi Web Server-209] org.apache.nifi.web.filter.RequestLogger Attempting request for (anonymous) POST http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx/nifi-api/process-groups/bf104e19-0157-1000-96a7-b87c2ff614ca/template-instance (source ip: yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy)
2016-10-26 07:32:09,630 INFO [NiFi Web Server-209] o.a.n.w.a.c.IllegalStateExceptionMapper java.lang.IllegalStateException: The specified observer identifier already exists.. Returning Conflict response.
2016-10-26 07:32:14,299 INFO [NiFi Web Server-194] org.apache.nifi.web.filter.RequestLogger Attempting request for (anonymous) GET http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx/nifi-api/flow/process-groups/bf104e19-0157-1000-96a7-b87c2ff614ca (source ip: yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy)

This does not happen with every flow I try to move from the standalone instance to the cluster instance.  But it does consistently happen or not happen with any given flow.  For example, I made a template on the standalone instance for a flow with 1 processor, saved it and uploaded it to the cluster instance with no problem.

As a work around, I have been able to do this:

1.       Disconnect one node from the cluster

2.       Instantiate my flows on the disconnected node from the templates

3.       Shutdown NiFi on all of the nodes

4.       Copy the flow.xml.gz file from the updated node to the other 2 nodes

5.       Restart NiFi on all of the nodes

After this the flows are instantiated and work fine.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any ideas on why I may be getting this error?

Thank you,

Simon

Re: Error instantiating template on cluster: The specified observer identifier already exists.

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

Sorry for the late response here. I believe we encountered and addressed
this issue [1] today. Unfortunately, it just missed being included in
Apache 1.1.0 by a couple days. If you're able to build from source, this
should be fixed in the current master branch. Again sorry for the
inconvenience.

Matt

Ma