Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rorschach Rev <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/12 01:38:35 UTC

[users@httpd] fcgi processes won't expire. Using cron to pkill. Requesting config help.

Read guides, manuals, google, asked #httpd and was sent here.
I am using Debian Lenny, mpm-prefork, suexec, libapache2-mod-fcgid
2.3.6-1. The php5-cgi process does not expire.  Goal: make php5-cgi
processes expire naturally to replace my cron job: pkill php5-cgi.

Excerpt virtualhost config:
<Directory /home/pfbc/public_html>
AddHandler fcgid-script .php
FCGIWrapper /home/pfbc/fcgi-bin/php5.fcgi .php
</Directory>

Attempts to put this information in the VirtualHost resulted in an error.
  IPCCommTimeout   240
  IdleTimeout            240

When VirtualMin was installed to help my partner administer the
server, it set up the FCGI wrapper in virtual hosts. I attempted to
follow the IRC based advice which recommended a
/etc/apache2/conf.d/php-fcgid.conf file. MaxProcessCount applied
globally but the Timeouts did not (even whe set at 2 seconds).

My VPS is a memory constrained developer / production server, and it
is important to be able to support 8 domains. 2 pay for the machine, 6
for development.  If I need to completely redo the fcgi configuration
to global, I can attempt to do so but this is debian package based and
most guides on config files are for very different configurations. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

RR