Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/07 23:58:31 UTC

HBase Quarterly report Aug-Oct 2021

Hi all,

HBase submits a report to the ASF board once a quarter, to inform the board
about project health. I'm sending the report to the user@ and dev@ mailing
lists because you are the project, and for transparency. If you have any
questions about the report or the running of the project, you can post them
to any PMC member or committer, or send an email to private@hbase.apache.org,
which every PMC member subscribes to.

Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational
database. Apache HBase gives you low latency random access to billions of rows
with millions of columns atop non-specialized hardware.

hbase-thirdparty is a set of internal artifacts used by the project to
mitigate the impact of our dependency choices on the wider ecosystem.

hbase-connectors is a collection of integration points with other projects.
The initial release includes artifacts for use with Apache Kafka and Apache
Spark.

hbase-filesystem contains HBase project-specific implementations of the Apache
Hadoop FileSystem API. It is currently experimental and internal to the
project.

hbase-operator-tools is a collection of tools for HBase operators. Now it is
mainly for hosting HBCK2.

hbase-native-client is a client library in C/C++, in its early days.

## Issues:
We were unable to reach consensus on a contentious design issue (the "split
meta" problem), after attempting mediation and collaborative design. The
effort is now on hold indefinitely and it is unclear if there will be a
successful outcome in the future.

## Membership Data:
Apache HBase was founded 2010-04-21 (11 years ago)
There are currently 95 committers and 56 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Bharath Vissapragada was added to the PMC on 2021-07-30
- Baiqiang Zhao was added as committer on 2021-07-07

## Project Activity:
Recent releases:
2.4.6 was released on 2021-09-18.
2.3.6 was released on 2021-08-02.
2.4.5 was released on 2021-07-31.
1.7.1 was released on 2021-07-23.
3.0.0-alpha-1 was released on 2021-07-20.

We are actively considering EOL for the 2.3.x release line.
https://s.apache.org/i56se

The work for better support object store had a good progress, we decided to
implement a general framework which could support different implementations.
https://s.apache.org/zh8ei
https://s.apache.org/7hssk
https://s.apache.org/7thaz

We finally made our first alpha release for the 3.x release line.
https://s.apache.org/74sc5

We got trouble in our jenkins jobs as they would report an unstable result when
everything is fine, finally we found that it was a bug in the surefire plugin,
but so far there is no progress on fixing.
https://s.apache.org/mmsmo
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1821

We had some discussions on the InterfaceStability and InterfaceAudience
annotations and related modules, and the Yetus community planned to remove
these annotations because they want to drop the support for JDK8. We are not yet
sure as a community what approach we'll take.
https://s.apache.org/bi8qv
https://s.apache.org/nhvni
https://s.apache.org/uqae1

We backported the open telemetry support to branch-2, and it will be a key
feature for our 2.5 release line.
https://s.apache.org/9hd86

There was a big improvement on compression support in HBase. We introduced
several new modules to better support different compression codecs.

We had been pinged by the infra again about eating all the spaces on jenkins
nodes, and this time we made some good progress on uploading the big files to
nightlies.apache.org.

The members in the community had posted several blogs about different modules
in HBase.
https://s.apache.org/b18si
https://s.apache.org/45ymf

## Community Health:
- Mailing list activity:
dev@hbase.apache.org:
957 subscribers(955 in the previous quarter)
747 emails sent to list(769 in the previous quarter)

user@hbase.apache.org:
2017 subscribers(2021 in the previous quarter)
95 emails sent to list(100 in the previous quarter)

user-zh@hbase.apache.org
72 subscribers(73 in the previous quarter)
11 emails sent to list(9 in the previous quarter)

- JIRA activity:
248 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (-24% change)
203 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (-21% change

- Commit activity:
605 commits in the past quarter (-17% decrease)
52 code contributors in the past quarter (-16% change)

- GitHub PR activity:
263 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-24% change)
261 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-16% change)

The community is overall healthy, we should try to cut branch-2.5 and make the
next alpha release for 3.0.0 soon.

Re: HBase Quarterly report Aug-Oct 2021

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Oh, sorry, the title should be Jul-Sep,I forgot to send it last month :(

张铎(Duo Zhang) <pa...@gmail.com> 于2021年11月8日周一 上午7:58写道:

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.