Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Michelle Meyer <ex...@gmx.de> on 2009/07/17 13:15:13 UTC

export control

Hi everybody,

I am engaged in export control compliance and need to know the ECCN (export control classification number) of Apache XML security (version 1.4.2) and whether any license exceptions are available. There is some information on export control at http://www.apache.org/licenses/export/ and also a guide to handle cryptography within an apache release (http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html), but especially for the named software there is no specific information.
Can anybody help?

Many thanks and
regards, Michelle

export control

Posted by Michelle Meyer <ex...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I posted a question concerning export control on 17th of July and still got no answer. I guess it is just the wrong mailing list. May anybody help and tell me where to I should adress my request. Thank you yo much!

Regards, Michelle.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

RE: RE: export control

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
Michelle Meyer wrote on 2009-08-14:
> Could you please let me know, which alternative is true for Apache XML
> security and, if it is 5D002 if/when you notified BIS?

I have done and will do nothing in this area. I don't understand what the
regulations mean, so I can say "no" in good faith.

-- Scott

Re: RE: export control

Posted by Michelle Meyer <ex...@gmx.de>.
Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer.
You´re right as long as Apache XML Security is not specially "designed or modified for the development, production or use" of other export controlled crypto-software. If not, Apache XML Security is controlled under ECCN 5D002a (see http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/ccl5-pt2.pdf, page 6) and you should notify BIS (Bureau of Industry and Security) to be able to use license exception TSU (§ 740.13 EAR) and to avoid violations of US export control law.

Could you please let me know, which alternative is true for Apache XML security and, if it is 5D002 if/when you notified BIS?

Rgds Michelle

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

RE: export control

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.