Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Lyndon Samson <ly...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/21 02:09:57 UTC

Webdav admin interface

Just another wacky idea but...

Webdav clients are becomming more common.

Webdav is being used for admin like tasks (
http://metzner.org/projects/xincon/ ).

I wonder if you could wrap webdav around Management GBeans/JMX/? and
give access to Geronimos internals in a similar manner to the /proc
interface in Linux.

Would it add anything or just be a cool bit of code? :-)

cheers
lyndon

--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com Simple, fast, news.

Re: Webdav admin interface

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.
We experimented with this with WLS, it worked pretty well. The nice thing
about webdav is that you can mount it as a file system from windows and
OSX. We also tried a similar experiment with ftp which also worked pretty
well. However, you generally want to script admin commands and there are a
lot of other java-based scripting options out there which can just use JMX
directly.

andy

Re: Webdav admin interface

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 20, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Lyndon Samson wrote:

> Just another wacky idea but...
>
> Webdav clients are becomming more common.
>
> Webdav is being used for admin like tasks (
> http://metzner.org/projects/xincon/ ).
>
> I wonder if you could wrap webdav around Management GBeans/JMX/? and
> give access to Geronimos internals in a similar manner to the /proc
> interface in Linux.
>
> Would it add anything or just be a cool bit of code? :-)

Oh my... that Linux davfs module has me drooling.  I wrote a whole
telnet implementation for OpenEJB 1.0 once with hopes of doing
something like this.  This is a whole other ballpark.

So could we actually do something like execute components in the
kernel from bash?  (please say yes, please say yes)

-David