Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Nagele <wi...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/17 19:08:00 UTC

NFS locking rep_cache.db

We're trying to investigate an issue where we can't delete an SVN repo
on NFS. We've tried many options, but no solution yet. Here is the
error:

rm: cannot remove `/storage/repo001/db/.nfs00000000013a80f200000067':
Device or resource busy

Moving a repo works fine, but rm does not. We've reviewed permissions
and many other things. Just recently, we noticed a reference to
"rep_cache.db" in the nfs file. I was wondering if someone could
explain what that file is and if it could be causing the problems.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: NFS locking rep_cache.db

Posted by Chris Nagele <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hyrum,

> The rep_cache.db is just an sqlite database which makes checksums to
> representation ids so that they can be reused by the storage system.  It can
> safely be deleted, with the consequence that redundant data may be stored in
> the system.  I don't know why it would be causing problems, except for the
> fact that some open Subversion fs connection might be holding a handle to
> it.

We just finally figured it out. Our ruby bindings were touching the
repo right before the delete, so it locked the file.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Re: NFS locking rep_cache.db

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Sep 17, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Chris Nagele wrote:

> We're trying to investigate an issue where we can't delete an SVN repo
> on NFS. We've tried many options, but no solution yet. Here is the
> error:
>
> rm: cannot remove `/storage/repo001/db/.nfs00000000013a80f200000067':
> Device or resource busy
>
> Moving a repo works fine, but rm does not. We've reviewed permissions
> and many other things. Just recently, we noticed a reference to
> "rep_cache.db" in the nfs file. I was wondering if someone could
> explain what that file is and if it could be causing the problems.

The rep_cache.db is just an sqlite database which makes checksums to
representation ids so that they can be reused by the storage system.
It can safely be deleted, with the consequence that redundant data may
be stored in the system.  I don't know why it would be causing
problems, except for the fact that some open Subversion fs connection
might be holding a handle to it.

-Hyrum