Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by spamassassin <sp...@peaksystemperformance.com> on 2006/12/10 18:22:21 UTC

configuring sendmail and spamassassin

Good morning, I am using Sendmail to forward e-mail to our Exchange
environment.  I would like to configure Spamassassin to scan e-mails
before they are forwarded to the exchange environment.  I have tried
multiple ways to get it to function but have had no luck.

Can you please direct me to the right location for documentation of how
to get spamassassin, and I have not even worked on it yet, Clamav
working on all e-mail

Thank you,

Richard Tracy

RE: configuring sendmail and spamassassin

Posted by Bart Smit <Ba...@nexusmgmt.com>.
Hi Richard,

Try MailScanner www.mailscanner.info. It will also scan your mail for viruses. There is a MAQ entry for Exchange http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:sendmail:how_to:setup_a_gateway

Setup is documented extremely well on the site and was featured in Red Hat magazine http://www.redhat.com/magazine/025nov06/features/email/index.html#parttwo?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007

There is a very lively and helpful mailing list as well. You'll likely be up and running within an hour.

Bart...

________________________________

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
spamassassin wrote:
> Good morning, I am using Sendmail to forward e-mail to our Exchange
> environment.  I would like to configure Spamassassin to scan e-mails
> before they are forwarded to the exchange environment.  I have tried
> multiple ways to get it to function but have had no luck.
>

> Can you please direct me to the right location for documentation of how
> to get spamassassin, and I have not even worked on it yet, Clamav
> working on all e-mail
>

> Thank you,

In sendmail.mc, enable spamass-milter filtering:

dnl #
dnl #### SPAMASSASSIN #############################
dnl #
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
`S=local:/var/run/spamass-milter/spamass-milter.sock,
F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl
define(`confMILTER_MACROS_CONNECT',`t, b, j, _, {daemon_name},
{if_name}, {if_addr}')dnl
define(`confMILTER_MACROS_HELO',`s, {tls_version}, {cipher},
{cipher_bits}, {cert_subject}, {cert_issuer}')dnl
define(`confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT', `r, v, Z')
dnl #
define(`confMILTER_LOG_LEVEL', 8)dnl

Install spamass-milter from extras (yum install spamass-milter)

We edited /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter to skip mail origination on our
internal network and to reject (error 550) mail with a score over 10.0

/etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter

### Override for your different local config
#SOCKET=/var/run/spamass-milter/spamass-milter.sock

### Standard parameters for spamass-milter are:
### -P /var/run/spamass-milter.pid (PID file)
###
### Note that the -f parameter for running the milter in the background
### is not required because the milter runs in a wrapper script that
### backgrounds itself
###
### You may add another parameters here, see spamass-milter(1)
#EXTRA_FLAGS="-m -r 15"
EXTRA_FLAGS=" -i 127.0.0.1,10.0.0.0/8 -r 10  -- -d localhost -p 783"

--

  Steve

Re: configuring sendmail and spamassassin

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl>.
"spamassassin" <sp...@peaksystemperformance.com> writes:

> Good morning, I am using Sendmail to forward e-mail to our Exchange
> environment.  I would like to configure Spamassassin to scan e-mails before
> they are forwarded to the exchange environment.  I have tried multiple ways to
> get it to function but have had no luck.
>
> Can you please direct me to the right location for documentation of how to get
> spamassassin, and I have not even worked on it yet, Clamav working on all
> e-mail

Have you considered using milter for the task?
e.g. MIMEDefang http://www.mimedefang.org/

It allows to conduct *in SMTP session* checks.

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
Home site: http://anfi.homesite.net/