Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Prashanth P." <pr...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/29 06:12:54 UTC

Linux crashes after shutting down web application

Hi,

I have a web application running on Apache 1.3.23 -->
tomcat 4.1.24 on Red Hat Linux 7.3. I downloaded the
.so from the jakarta website mod_jk-1.3-eapi.so and
configured the connector. Everything works fine when I
run the application. But, a few minutes after I shut
down tomcat and Apache, the Linux installation hangs
and I am forced to restart. I am looking for possible
explanations as to why this happens and a possible
fix. Can anyone suggest possible reasons for this
happening? Is there a specific way in which a web
application should be shutdown (apache first then
tomcat or vice-versa? I think not!). I tried looking
of any indications from the logs but nothing came up.
There is no reference to the crash! Could it be
because of the connector? Do I need to recompile?

Thanks in advance
Prashanth

Re: Linux crashes after shutting down web application

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that Tomcat or Apache could
"crash" or "hang" a properly configured Linux system.

As far as shutdown/start procedure:

To start, assuming both Apache and Tomcat are down:

1) start Tomcat
2) WAIT until Tomcat is ready
3) start Apache

To stop, assuming both Apache and Tomcat are running:

1) stop Apache
2) stop Tomcat

When shutting down, you don't want to stop Tomcat first, because Apache
might still receive requests that it will try to send to Tomcat in the
meantime.

If you ask me, there is something else going on with your Linux system
besides a problem with Apache or Tomcat.

John