Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Issa Mbodji <is...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/22 04:57:41 UTC

[users@httpd] My Apache Access Log

Hello:

I am running the Apache web server at home (just for
testing purposes). I do not even has a web site. I am
running localhost. I was surprised to see today when I
opened the log access file some very strange messages
like the one below:

68.50.3.144 - - [21/Jun/2003:22:49:07 -0400] "GET
/default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a
 HTTP/1.0" 404 309

or this one

68.50.52.117 - - [16/Jun/2003:17:25:57 -0400] "GET
/c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 404 322

I really do not understand these messages and to me it
seems that I am under attack.

Does anyone knows what this could mean? and probably
if it is an attack, how do I stop it.

I am running windows XP Professional Edition.

Thanks. -Mame Mbodji

RE: [users@httpd] My Apache Access Log

Posted by Issa Mbodji <is...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, I will try it.

Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com> wrote:Next time plain text please.
Add these lines and it will log any requests into a different log file.

SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI "default\.ida?|root\.|cmd\.exe" is_attack
CustomLog logs/access.log combined env=!is_attack
CustomLog logs/attack.log combined env=is_attack

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324
www.GEJ-IT.com
GEJ-IT Networks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= Inkling Research Inc. =
= Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com =
= Tim.Wort@pobox.com =
= =
= Sun Certified Security =
= Administrator =
= =
= Eschew Obfuscation =

Re: [users@httpd] My Apache Access Log

Posted by Issa Mbodji <is...@yahoo.com>.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Posted by Tim Wort <ti...@pobox.com>.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=        Inkling Research Inc.      =
=    Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com   =
=        Tim.Wort@pobox.com         =
=                                   =
=       Sun Certified Security      =
=           Administrator           =
=                                   =
=        Eschew Obfuscation         =

Re: [users@httpd] My Apache Access Log

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Check the archives of this list, this question was asked million times
already.
It means that a NimdA@ virus was trying to infect your IIS server, but you
do not have an IIS server then there's nothing to be worried about. :-)

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324