Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Tim Dyck <Ti...@attachmatewrq.com> on 2005/08/26 01:16:34 UTC

maven repositories

Is there a way to easier download jars from the repository without having to list it as a dependency in a project?  In my case, I want to modify the maven.xml file and override the javadoc goal to also build a PDF of the javadocs using pdfdoclet.  Though, somehow I need to be able to download that file from the repository so that when others build locally on their build that they do not need to know how to manually copy it to their local repository.  Ideas?

Thanks,

Tim Dyck

Re: maven repositories

Posted by Andy Glick <an...@acm.org>.
You've asked 2 different questions here.

1) You request an easier way to download dependent files from a Maven
repository than listing them as dependencies in a POM.

2) You want to know how to share downloaded dependencies with other
developers at your location.

Regarding 1, Dan Tran suggested that you could use ant:wget to download
artifacts. I often look at the repository on Ibiblio, or at some of the
others, there's 1 at Apache and 1 at CodeHaus with my web browser and
download the files that I want. Does that actually answer your question?

Regarding 2, you want to know how to share files that you download with
others at your location. Normally that requires some infrastructure. The
general solution is to configure a machine to act as a local
"maven.repo.remote", so that all Maven requests go through it, and it
caches any artifacts that are downloaded. There is an existing project
named maven-proxy at Codehaus that can do this for you.

Regarding your ideas about modifying the behavior of the
maven-javadoc-plugin, you don't need to override the javadoc goal using
Jelly script in your maven.xml file.  If you look at the documentation
for the plugin, you'll see that it provides a property
maven.javadoc.doclet that you can use to specify the doclet.

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/javadoc/properties.html

Hope that this helps.

Re: maven repositories

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.